Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Help please with stringer swirl (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289138)

Angie09 2016-08-12 12:05pm

Help please with stringer swirl

I have searched the data base but can't figure out the right words to use so I need some secrets on how people get those beautiful swirls (that look like a wave) in their stringer work. The photo attached has what I'm looking for. I have been using 3mm clear stringers to make the circle then break the off but as you can see, the results are less than thrilling. Is there a tool that can be used? IPlease, please ... tell me your secrets!!

Eileen 2016-08-12 12:10pm

I'm interested in what others have to say. I use a stringer, and depending on the stringer size, where I put it and how much I twist I get different looks.

echeveria 2016-08-12 12:18pm

More heat on the spot you are twisting

Angie09 2016-08-12 1:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by echeveria (Post 4869866)
More heat on the spot you are twisting

Then it seems to go mushy on me.

Eileen 2016-08-12 1:30pm

Are you heating just the spot you want to twirl?

lotusbunny2009 2016-08-12 1:40pm

Do you want an "arching wave" (essentially only a portion of a circle) or a tight swirl with a full (or more) circle? I thought you "wave" looked good.

Angie09 2016-08-12 1:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotusbunny2009 (Post 4869888)
Do you want an "arching wave" (essentially only a portion of a circle) or a tight swirl with a full (or more) circle? I thought you "wave" looked good.

EITHER ... mine looks messy and some people (Candice comes to mind that does the ocean theme beads) they are clean and crisp.)

Croft Eeusk 2016-08-12 1:47pm

I use an old dental tool or a tungsten pick instead of a stringer. That way you can push/pull or twist.

Twist

Push/Pull

dj

echeveria 2016-08-12 4:12pm

If you want more of a wave than a swirl, twist further to the top of the stringer. And concentrate heat into just the part of the glass that you want to move.

Angie09 2016-08-12 4:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by echeveria (Post 4869935)
If you want more of a wave than a swirl, twist further to the top of the stringer. And concentrate heat into just the part of the glass that you want to move.

Great tip Kathy. What do you use to do it? A glass stringer or a tool?

VivianLampwork 2016-08-12 4:53pm

Make a thin stringer to twist with. Heat the spot you want to twist & wait about 2 seconds. Then, twist the stringer about 3 times around, blow on it & break it off. If you want it to look like the ocean, use ivory with silver foil on half the bead & a ocean colored transparent on the other half. Then twist the colors.

http://i64.tinypic.com/68fwg8.jpg

echeveria 2016-08-12 5:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie09 (Post 4869938)
Great tip Kathy. What do you use to do it? A glass stringer or a tool?

Stringer

Speedslug 2016-08-12 8:36pm

Stringer here also.

I tend to use clear.

This is a classic lesson in heat control.

It is 'only' heating just the area you want to move and waiting long enough for it to cool enough to not go soupy when you plunge then waiting long enough for it solidify and snap off the stringer.

Of course heart surgery is also 'only' cutting someone open and possibly sewing together arteries a little larger that the pencil lead in a mechanical pencil and sewing the patient back together again.

Oh and the whole graduate from medical school thing too.

Good luck.

Mine suck too.

Angie09 2016-08-13 6:17am

What size stringer do you all use???

Angie09 2016-08-13 6:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedslug (Post 4870023)
Stringer here also.

I tend to use clear.

This is a classic lesson in heat control.

It is 'only' heating just the area you want to move and waiting long enough for it to cool enough to not go soupy when you plunge then waiting long enough for it solidify and snap off the stringer.

Of course heart surgery is also 'only' cutting someone open and possibly sewing together arteries a little larger that the pencil lead in a mechanical pencil and sewing the patient back together again.

Oh and the whole graduate from medical school thing too.

Good luck.

Mine suck too.

Love your answer!!

echeveria 2016-08-13 6:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie09 (Post 4870059)
What size stringer do you all use???

Depends on the size of the bead and the size swirl I want.

Chocake 2016-08-13 7:02am

LOL... So, basically what everyone is saying is the only answer is "Practice, Practice Practice."

echeveria 2016-08-13 7:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocake (Post 4870069)
LOL... So, basically what everyone is saying is the only answer is "Practice, Practice Practice."

Mostly, yes. I do think consensus has been to use stringer. I used to try to use my tungsten poker, but it just didn't work for me.

Angie09 2016-08-13 8:43am

Has anyone used a tungsten rod to make the swirls? I found these at ABR ... one photo is terrible but that's what they have on the website.

VivianLampwork 2016-08-13 8:53am

IMO the tungsten doesn't work for a swirl. It works for pulling & dragging. The stringer attaches to the glass so you can get a few turns.

echeveria 2016-08-13 9:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivianLampwork (Post 4870087)
IMO the tungsten doesn't work for a swirl. It works for pulling & dragging. The stringer attaches to the glass so you can get a few turns.

Agree. For me, the tungsten did not grab the glass.

artwhim 2016-08-14 8:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Croft Eeusk (Post 4869892)
I use an old dental tool or a tungsten pick instead of a stringer. That way you can push/pull or twist.

Twist

Push/Pull

dj

Ya, I always use my thinnest tungsten pick. I prefer that so I don't get a dot from the stringer.

Angie09 2016-08-14 8:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by artwhim (Post 4870568)
Ya, I always use my thinnest tungsten pick. I prefer that so I don't get a dot from the stringer.

Kathy ... where did you get the thin tungsten pick .... I need one bad!!

Speedslug 2016-08-14 11:43pm

I ground my tungsten with a cutting disk in my Dremel tool.

It was a good practice with pressure and particle spray control and I had really good ventilation going.

If I remember right you don't want to use the surface of your best normal grinding wheel because the tungsten will pack the pores so much that you will need to resurface the wheel.

Also there are types of tungsten that have a variety of other metals in them to improve their use in welding, some of which are radio active like thorium.
Not harmful in them themselves but you don't want even a speck of that stuff in your lungs as it will help you to glow in the dark just a little bit brighter.

Make sure that your tungsten has the tip painted green because that is the kind without the extra additives.

elasia 2016-08-15 1:32am

I always use my tungsten, I can go really tight or not depending on how much I twist. Fwiw I can't do it with a stringer really, so if it's a problem try a pick.
I buy the 'fireworks' brand, the stuff at hobby lobby haha, comes with mandrels. Really it's decent, I've used the same one for almost 10 years now and it's been through hell and back and used nightly.

Angie09 2016-08-15 3:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by elasia (Post 4870592)
I always use my tungsten, I can go really tight or not depending on how much I twist. Fwiw I can't do it with a stringer really, so if it's a problem try a pick.
I buy the 'fireworks' brand, the stuff at hobby lobby haha, comes with mandrels. Really it's decent, I've used the same one for almost 10 years now and it's been through hell and back and used nightly.

Thank you Elasia ... I plan on going there this afternoon. What section do they have mandrels in? I looked on the website but didn't see anything.

elasia 2016-08-15 11:06pm

They sell sheet glass and mosiacs, it's in that section, I believe with the clay?
These, I don't think they cost this much though
https://www.amazon.com/Fireworks-32-.../dp/B00114RLQU

I literally bang the tip on my cement block when glass sticks to it, it's really a good little tool.

Angie09 2016-08-16 12:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by elasia (Post 4870807)
They sell sheet glass and mosiacs, it's in that section, I believe with the clay?
These, I don't think they cost this much though
https://www.amazon.com/Fireworks-32-.../dp/B00114RLQU

I literally bang the tip on my cement block when glass sticks to it, it's really a good little tool.

But it says they are made from stainless steel. I'm confused.

Speedslug 2016-08-16 4:45am

Aye. Those are not tungsten.

I got mine at a welding shop.

Eileen 2016-08-16 6:33am

I got mine at a welding place too, Airgas has a place in Tampa and I got them there. I don't use them to twist though, but maybe I will try it.
I sharpened some of the ones I bought, do you sharpen them to twist, or use them as they come?