Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Intense black and webbing (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314912)

brndsnlsn@gmail.com 2020-08-13 1:38pm

Intense black and webbing

Hi all! I'm having trouble getting my intense black to "web" on ivory (dark or light). I've tried from as thin as I can to thicker ... gentle heat to melt off the mandrel heat. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas? Could it be that what was sold to me as Intense Black is in fact not? My ivory is Effetre, and I don't know what brand the Intense Black is - I bought it through Delphi.
Thanks all! I love this site because of all of you welcoming and generous artists!

brndsnlsn@gmail.com 2020-08-13 4:06pm

Correction ... sorry ... I actually don't think I bought the Intense black through Delphi; it would have been either Franz Art Glass or Arrow Springs, but I can't locate my receipts. Not saying anything bad about either - love them both - just maybe someone else has had similar problem?
Brenda

tassiebeads 2020-08-13 4:26pm

Hi - pull a thin stringer of the rod and check to see that it's still black by holding it up to a light - if it's effetre regular black, it will be purple-ish, not black. I get the best webbing of intense black when I crank up the heat on it, not gently heat it. Good luck. :)

brndsnlsn@gmail.com 2020-08-14 5:03pm

Thank you - thinner stringers, I'll try it. I don't have the skill level yet to use super thin stringers, so my stringers haven't been very thin. And i'll do the color check. thanks again!

ewagnerfrog 2020-08-14 9:37pm

Super this stringers are very easy to make...Take two rods of intense black a barely melt the ends of both rods. The touch the ends together and pull hard. You will end up with hair thin stringers. Good luck...Ernie Wagner

echeveria 2020-08-15 9:06am

Just for testing purposes, you can pull the thin stringer, and then lay it on a hot bead just under the flame. Should stick, and then rotate the bead to apply more. Once you get some on there you can start fiddling with heating the bead to see if you can make it web.

rainygrrl 2020-08-15 8:36pm

Good advice from others above. It’s always possible that a mistake happened. But pull the end as thin as you can, and IB will stay black. The webbing is easiest with hair-thin stringers (you can actually bend them around quite a bit!) and lots of heat.

If you are in the US, Feel free to PM me. I can send you some a bit of IB that I am certain of. I apologize if you are elsewhere. At this point I have to prioritize various family things over figuring out and fretting about how to do the shipping.

It can be really fun to play with.

brndsnlsn@gmail.com 2020-08-18 5:49pm

wow so it sounds like I have to shoot for even thinner stringers than I've been making! I've never tried hair-thin stringers. My hands shake so much that I have problems with fine things and details and exact dot placement and such. But I'll try it!
I did do the purple test, and some of what I have is definately dark purple, and other of it is definately black. I'll keep trying - thank you everyone for your feedback.

Eileen 2020-08-18 6:30pm

Also, the fine stringer you are going to use doesn't have to be applied precisely, because you want it to web and spread. You can just heat the bead and the hair fine stringer will adhere to the bead from the bead's heat. You don't have to heat the stringer itself.
Experimentation can be fun, just be smarter than I am and pay attention to what works! ;-)

Speedslug 2020-08-19 3:48pm

I haven't read all 9 posts above so I am probably repeating someone but if I remember correctly you want let the core of the bead cool a little more than normal because once you add the intense black you need to blast the snot out the surface to get it to breakup and web out and if you do that to a bead that has a warm core it will puddle on your bench in a hurry.

You could try using a transparent as a tiny core before covering it in ivory because transparents are stiffer and less prone to dripping off the mandrel while you chase the elusive webbing.

I haven't done much webbing myself so I am pulling this out of my "I read this years ago and I think remember it correctly" pocket.

Please come back here and teach us what you figure out.

And don't get old. Your memory goes to pot.

rainygrrl 2020-08-22 10:30am

So you’ve got some regular black mixed in. My hands are very shaky so I can’t do precision work but I still have a lot of fun making a variety of beads. Enjoy!

brndsnlsn@gmail.com 2020-08-24 4:58pm

Hi all, checking back in. I was able to pull really hair thin stringers (thanks Erniie!). I was able to get some webbing to start, but was constantly in danger of melting the bead off the mandrel. I've done the clear core on other beads, don't know why I didn't think of that for under this ivory. So I'm going to try again! If I can figure out how to get a picture and get it attached here, I will. Thanks all again for the great feedback!

LochGlassBeads 2020-08-26 6:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by brndsnlsn@gmail.com (Post 5080729)
wow so it sounds like I have to shoot for even thinner stringers than I've been making! I've never tried hair-thin stringers. My hands shake so much that I have problems with fine things and details and exact dot placement and such. But I'll try it!
I did do the purple test, and some of what I have is definately dark purple, and other of it is definately black. I'll keep trying - thank you everyone for your feedback.

Have you thought of using one of those wrist/arm rests? Creation Station is one.

lunesse 2020-09-28 8:03pm

any updates on the webbing? =)

ewagnerfrog 2020-09-28 8:59pm

I suggest you check out an amazing tutorial by Ikuyo Yamanaka titled "How to decorate a bead with lace patterns". It will make you forget all about trying to get intense black to web...and provide you with endless variations to explore. Ernie Wagner, Olympia, WA

KJohn 2020-09-29 8:35pm

you can also use a very fine stringer of silver glass. But I second the recommendation for Ikuyo's tutorial, it's pretty neat

brndsnlsn@gmail.com 2020-09-30 5:03pm

Hi all ... checking back in to let y'all know I finally had success with intense black webbing! Yay! Putting everyone's advice to use. And adding some patience. Keeping the core cooler (used a tiny clear core), didn't worry about controlling a design, and heated the snot out of it. I did also learn that alittle goes a long way. Same with Mosaic Green. Boy that stuff wants to dominate the world! Thanks again everyone. I will also check out the Ikuyo tutorial.

JLynn 2020-10-30 2:22pm

I appreciate this forum. I have not been unsuccessful webbing my intense black either. I will get on the torch tonight and will try a thinner stringer. Thanks and I will reply with results.