Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Torch Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   What kind of torch is this? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78797)

Teague 2008-01-17 12:22pm

What kind of torch is this?

Can anyone tell me what torch this is?

Teague

ArtcoInc 2008-01-17 12:28pm

Looks like a Carlisle CC, or CC+

Malcolm

Teague 2008-01-17 12:44pm

Thank you! The base looks different, but maybe it has changed.

Teague

ArtcoInc 2008-01-17 12:56pm

Carlisle has 2 different bases available for the larger torches: one is a ball mount, the other is a gear mount.

Then again, I really wasn't looking at the base :)

Malcolm

Teague 2008-01-17 12:59pm

This one is second hand and cheap, but I just looked at the specs and I think it's too big for my britches.

Teague

Trey Cornette 2008-01-17 2:13pm

I might be interested. How cheap and where?

darryl emmett 2008-01-17 2:39pm

Look like a Mya.

Teague 2008-01-17 5:14pm

Hmmm What about this one:

Teague

I can't seem to find many pics of Mayas online, just that there is a lot of controversy with the company that makes them.

Teague

ArtcoInc 2008-01-17 8:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teague (Post 1592517)
Hmmm What about this one:

Teague

I can't seem to find many pics of Mayas online, just that there is a lot of controversy with the company that makes them.

Teague

Interesting torch, Teague. It looks a lot like the Cenco (Central Scientific Co.) torch I have:

Notice the gas and air control wheels on the sides of the torch.

Cenco was founded in 1900, and the company grew into the 1960's. However, in 1968, the company started having serious difficulties, and much of it was sold off. In 1979, two investors bought the remaining assets of what was left of the company, and that new company still exists today. But, to my knowledge, they do not make torches any more.

Your torch has an interesting base, similar to another torch I have. Notice how the spare tips are stored on threaded stubs on the feet of the base:

All of these are nice old torches, but probably no better than any of the modern torches.

Malcolm

murf 2008-01-17 10:21pm

1 Attachment(s)
the first torch posted is a simax h2 blast burner
this is a newer version and runs around $900 on sale

Teague 2008-01-17 10:43pm

Hmm.. Interesting. That last one was on ebay for like $9. I've just never seen anything like it before. The first one I posted I found on Craigslist, so many ideas for what torch it is though.

Teague

Teague 2008-01-17 10:46pm

I didn't even know that simax made torches. On ABR's website it lists for 999 on sale. It says it comes with a foot pedal. But it's also a premix centerfire I don't think that would work well for beads.

Teague

murf 2008-01-18 12:05am

sure it would, prob has a center fire than could seal the eye lid to an ant. your right down the road from Winship and a whole bunch of lampworkers, hot shops, and Bob Snodgrass. should be able to score a torch with no problem. just take your time in picking what you can afford and think about where you plan to go in glass. you can have a cannon of a torch, that could peel the paint off the neighbors house, but it doesn't mean you have to rage it. use the center fire, try the outer some and grow into it.

Cosmo 2008-01-18 7:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teague (Post 1593163)
I didn't even know that simax made torches. On ABR's website it lists for 999 on sale. It says it comes with a foot pedal. But it's also a premix centerfire I don't think that would work well for beads.

Teague

I use a pre-mix center fire for everything I make...

Norskiglass 2008-01-23 7:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teague (Post 1593163)

Teague

Did anyone mention to you the the torch (first pic) has a 40mm face on it? beyond the fact it is a premix centerfire it is VERY large.

~W~

Cabanlet 2008-01-25 9:18pm

Size really does matter!

eugeneglass 2009-01-29 11:23am

Your torch

Hi,
That is a H-2 Blastburner.
They are made by simax.I love them.They work like a Herbert but are only $750.00 BRAND NEW(ABR)because knowbody knows about them.They have the 5th knob like a herbert but, A air compressor is needed.2 oxy inputs,2 prop in puts,and the 1 compressed air knob.
Ask Ross @ABR for more info if needed.
PEACE from GLASSCITY(Eugene,Oregon)!!!

kbinkster 2009-02-06 1:53pm

You can work soft glass on a premix, but you have a smaller window of usable flame settings than you would with a surface mix. Be sure to get some flashback arrestors. Also, check and make sure about the use of the air compressor and find out if it is optional or necessary.

Holden 2009-03-19 5:52pm

I just purchased one of these H2s from ABR and it's an awesome burner. It is more commonly known as The Maya. I use a 150lb compressor tank and set the regulator at 10# pressure. You don't need a compressor only to fill the tank. Without the compressed air the high fire burns dirty and without any pressure. Dial in the air and it burns powerful and hot. The low fire burns hot but it's premix so it's noisy. Sounds like a jet engine. If you don't mind the noise it's ok. With This burner you can make anything. It's industrial strength. It has a 40mm face and will melt 50mm extra heavy wall like butter. At the price of $750.00 it's a steal believe me. Great for making Large paperweights 3" and 4" and marbles which is what I bought it for. Large vessals should be possible too. I will never have to buy another torch.
Jay.

Grisel 2021-04-20 4:14pm

Hello from uruguay.

i have got one like this. How can i use it?
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/up...?viewid=101281