Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   104 Dichro...does it hate clear or just me? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228092)

Roo Blaty 2012-07-17 9:23am

104 Dichro...does it hate clear or just me?

I made a cute little seahorse ala Kimberly's tut from some time back.

I added 104 dichro to give it a bit of shine, as per the instructions. More and more I see that...the dichro seems to be trying to escape the rest of the bead. 8-[ It started as a little crack at the edge, which I thought may have just been neglected and needed more heat. But today when I picked it up the dichro literally fell off in places!

The bead is ONLY cracking around the dichro.

I assume it's the glass(es)I used?? As far as I remember I used pale aqua, clear, other blues I'd have to go check for sure but they all were various shades of transparent...but I think it's the dichro itself and not the other glasses used. Having said that, I pulled off a lot of the yucky dichro-clear and added regular clear. I think it was CIM clear but could have been Effetre. Does that make a difference? :-s

Thanks for your help.

Roo Blaty 2012-07-17 12:16pm

I guess I could be the only one who has had this problem....

Deb 2012-07-17 12:23pm

The only time I've had the dichro crack so badly that it fell off was when I got COE's mixed up. Could that have happened?

Roo Blaty 2012-07-17 12:33pm

The dichro SAYS 104....but now I wonder.
And you're right Deb, I wrecked a great bead b/f by mixing glass so now my 104 glass is marked and separated from the Boro....so I'm stumped.
I thought maybe it was a CIM clear issue. Someone told me it doesn't play well with certain other glasses.But I don't know which ones. :/

MaryBeth 2012-07-17 12:40pm

I have had cracking using 104 dichro with Aether. I remade the beads with Vetro clear and it was fine. I'm guessing that the difference in viscosity changes enough with the dichro coating thus causing the incompability. It looks like you found the same issue with CIM. Try remaking the bead with Effetre or Vetro clear.

Roo Blaty 2012-07-18 7:51am

OMG Mary Beth! I didn't know Aether had compatibility problems, too!
I'm wondering now if maybe I used it on some of the bead; I always use whatever....I just thought 104 was 104! I ran short of the CIM and grabbed Aether, which was on the table ...but the dichro was already on. However, I may have used it on the dichro, too! Who knows? Like I said, I thought they all went together?!

Thanks for telling me! I will make another....just a thought....are there any blues that are incompatible? Could blue be causing the cracks?

MaryBeth 2012-07-18 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roo Blaty (Post 4056213)
OMG Mary Beth! I didn't know Aether had compatibility problems, too!
I'm wondering now if maybe I used it on some of the bead; I always use whatever....I just thought 104 was 104! I ran short of the CIM and grabbed Aether, which was on the table ...but the dichro was already on. However, I may have used it on the dichro, too! Who knows? Like I said, I thought they all went together?!

Thanks for telling me! I will make another....just a thought....are there any blues that are incompatible? Could blue be causing the cracks?

I don't think I've ever heard of any trouble at all with blues. It is a shame about the Aether but it is very soft relative to Effetre and I guess the dichro just pushes things too far. I don't expect every different brand of 104 to be compatible with all colors of every other 104 because of viscosity differences.
Aether does work nicely with everything else I've used it with, however:)