Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   HELP Please!! Bead Release Woes... (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258788)

Sadie Mae 2014-01-15 1:07pm

HELP Please!! Bead Release Woes...

I need better clearer holes in my transparent beads ](*,)

What is your favorite bead release for clear holes?
Any special tips to achieve this crazy lofty goal of mine??!!

I really like Blue Sludge, my standard, but I am open to try others.
Dirty Louie's keeps flaking/breaking on me in the flame--my problem is...?
Want to try a sample of Robin's Foster Fire--your favorite of hers?
Do I need better drill bits for cleaning?

Thanks everyone!!

Lisi 2014-01-15 1:16pm

KRAG Mudd and you need a BeaDreamer bit.

pittypat 2014-01-15 1:25pm

Sadie, I believe it was one of the Foster's that someone said came out clear. I read it not too long ago, but to save me, I don't know where it is!!

Maybe try a search or hopefully someone will jump in.

lotusbunny2009 2014-01-15 2:03pm

KRAG

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisi (Post 4509549)

I second the vote for KRAG Mudd!!

bob 2014-01-15 2:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisi (Post 4509549)

I was looking at the beadreamer, how long do they last. It is a bit pricey but If it last a long time it may well be worth it.
Bob

ESC 2014-01-15 4:46pm

Bob, I bought eight bits about ten years ago when Auralens still sold them. I am currently using the third from the last bit. They can still be used until there is no grit left on the metal bit.
Also, I believe someone from Australia was recommending just using your mandrel with some cerium oxide and running it up and down inside the bead to remove the release. In a pinch, if you can't find/don't want to buy the bits, this will work.
ESC
Oh, and my vote goes for Dip n Go Sludge and then Blue Sludge for BHB.

Lisi 2014-01-15 5:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 4509606)
I was looking at the beadreamer, how long do they last. It is a bit pricey but If it last a long time it may well be worth it.
Bob

I bought mine in 2006 and I have used it to clean thousands upon thousands of beads. I am not exaggerating. In fact, I will be cleaning about 700 beads on Friday. :)

queenofsheba52 2014-01-15 5:48pm

Another happy BeaDreamer owner chiming in: I know they are pricey but they do the job so much better than anything else I have ever tried. My preference is for Blue Sludge but there are many good releases out there.

--Helene

jaci 2014-01-15 8:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 4509606)
Bob

My first beadreamer lasted me thousands of beads and 6 years. I'm still working on my second one. I've been lamp working almost 17 years, beadreaming 10...

My first still works but the part left is higher than not, it's still my backup if anything ever happened to the first one.

Ps I love the super blue sludge, and my new batch seems to clean out with just the mandrel really well. (I mix it w/ dip n go too) My beadreamer has not seen much action recently... And I used to use ff smooth n tuff but I find it gritty, and a bit extra work. The sludge leaves a cleaner coating on the mandrel, so it's easier to clean out. FF I used to smooth out the dried mandrels with my finger before using. Nice bead release, but I prefer bs now that I've used both. I always needed to ream my ff holes more than my sludge. That said ff was always easier to get the beads off the mandrel compared to bs. Great for 1/16" :)

Mountain Snail 2014-01-15 8:54pm

I use arrowsprings dip n go sludge and love it.

tassiebeads 2014-01-16 3:11am

Love my beadreamer too, cleans thousands of beads, well worth the price.
Also, flamekissedglass's Mama G's release is super for transparent beads, it leaves them quite clear. Not sure if she's still on etsy or not, but I bought some of it when it first came out and really loved it.

bob 2014-01-16 3:51am

Thanks for all the info on the Beadreamer.
Bob

demcc2 2014-01-16 5:14am

My go to bead release is the Sludge plus (the grey-colored cousin of Blue sludge) I also prefer the Blue Sludge as well and also Fusion (I think Ali uses Fusion....)

I've never heard of Krag Mudd-maybe I should look into it?

Unfortunately I have to say I'm bummed about not being able to get Foster Fire to work for me. I've tried (and tried again) all of it, even in different recommended consistencies but they all cracked/flaked on me.

Duane

Locococo 2014-01-16 6:23am

Dave's BeadReamer will do the magic. ;-)
It's worth the money 'cause it lasts for a very long time.
I use Dip n Go Blue Sludge since I started lampworking.
For transparent beads there will always be a matte finish left.
Take a pipe cleaner, dip it in some salad oil, remove most of it with a kleenex and pull it through the bead hole.....will last forever. \\:D/

And looks like this:

Elke

Lisi 2014-01-16 7:06am

KRAG Mudd is the dark grey very smooth consistency like Dip n Go Sludge. The only difference is that it is definitely easier to get the beads off the mandrels.

friskebaer 2014-01-16 8:12am

Who sells the KRAG Mud?

bshelle 2014-01-16 11:07am

Nice beads Elke. Does anyone use clear nail polish? Does that work long term?

istandalone24/7 2014-01-16 12:09pm

^^this. i was just going to say that. dip a mandrel in clear nail polish, then work the mandrel around inside the beads hole.
it works great!

Sadie Mae 2014-01-16 12:51pm

Holy moly folks--thanks for all the great suggestions!
Sent an email to KRAG--hope to hear back soon.
Found this link for the reamer--
http://www.artintheround.com/categor...ning-Tools.htm
my poor Paypal account will not be happy but I think I will be!!
Thanks again everyone!
And LOCOCOCO--awesome!! great idea and really beautiful beads!!!

loribeads 2014-01-16 1:20pm

So, with the Kragg mud, how easy is it to dip? Does it drip? For reference, I love Fusion because it doesn't drip and it makes dipping VERY quick and easy. Foster Fire drips so it takes me twice as long to dip mandrels.

Sadie Mae 2014-01-16 1:28pm

I just ordered a sample of FF--hate to have a huge collection of stuff that won't work! I'm actually using some Blue Sludge I bought from Sharon Peters 1.5 years ago...!! Still like it; does it go bad?
Dirty Louie's just hates me--flaky, shocky, you name it...