Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Torch Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Why is my HH behaving like this? :poke: (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30631)

Olimpia 2006-08-13 4:59pm

Why is my HH behaving like this? :poke:

Hello,
I have just installed my new tank with a HH. I am using a small tank like the ones used in a grill. I have a 30 feet hose attached to it. Tank is outside, fully open. Last time I used it, it would sputter every once in a while and kind of shoot sparks.
This time it's not doing that but it seems to increase and decrease the flame on its own. Like it were puffing.
Bet this has been addressed before but I can't find it and I'm afraid something will go wrong.

I just went back to try to make some more beads and now I can't control the flame at all! I light it and it lights this huge flame and I can't lower it because it turns off and then even while on off it keeps coming out for a second or two, kinda scary! Could it be my hose is too long? I can't think what can be wrong. New tank, not refilled.

UPDATE:
While waiting for an answer here, I decided to roll in the full length of the hose inside my studio while keeping my tank still outside but with a shorter end of the hose outside. This fixed it! Or did it? I wonder if this just happened while my tank settled again or if the hose had anything to do with it?

THANKS!!

Dale M. 2006-08-15 9:15am

By changing the configuration of hose, you probably have changed the conditions in which the "gunk" that forms in hose is distributed along hose so the relief is probably only temporary.... The spits and sputters are globs of oils being condensed and pushed through hose and out through hothead.... Draining hose between use is probably the only solution to the problem.... Also trying to turn HH "full on" contributes to situation... After tuning up HH till you get big bushy flame try turning it back down a bit till flame takes on more defined appearance and inner cone takes on a sharper pencil shape also flame color will darken in color by a few shades. This is actually the most efficient and hottest flame, not the full open bushy flame, and having "proper" flame causes less stress on system to produce oils in hose...

In near future there is probably going to be more information and or solution about problem as several people are researching this and hope to have definitive information published soon...

Dale

Olimpia 2006-08-17 5:28pm

Thank you Dale!
I will certainly keep checking back. I haven't been able to torch for a while so I have no idea if my changing the hose from outside in really helped or it's just temporary.

I never turn the flame full blast! I always keep it pretty low like you say where it looks more defined and less bushy. It just wouldn't get to that point at all, it would just do bushy and off. LOL

Thanks Again!