Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The Secret of Terra (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57391)

bkbeads 2007-06-16 5:37am

The Secret of Terra

I really do not understand the big secretness on Terra glass. I know K.N. insists that we work and work till we discover the Big Secret of Terra. I love, love, love that stuff when it does what it is designed to do, and here in lies the problem. I've worked that stuff in just about every conceivable way but can not get any of the pinks and greens out of it. Would it be too much for Double Helix to acually tell those that fork over the big bucks to them to enlighten us about how to get the true colors out of the glass?? I certainly am missing a big part of how to work that glass. BK](*,)

suzanne 2007-06-16 5:48am

there is a huge topic regarding this color in the gallery, lots of tips there.

bkbeads 2007-06-16 5:54am

Thank you very much for the response. Maybe if I try a few hundred other different ways to work the Terra I'll have some success. Thanks, BK

suzanne 2007-06-16 6:21am

well if you're not into playing with glass ( and yes it is expensive) then you shouldn't do it. This particular glass reacts similar to some boro colors. You might want to read into that before spending a lot on this glass, it will help you understand the processes in the glass

suzanne 2007-06-16 6:23am

oh and btw I've seen exellent results from many others too:)

pam 2007-06-16 6:30am

Despite the fact that people can tell you how the glass works for them, that's no guarantee that their methods will work for you, your torch, your oxy supply, your environment, etc. It's easy to say this is what works for me, but you still need to work for it yourself, find out what works for you.

MelissaQ 2007-06-16 6:44am

You know I followed tips on getting colors from the silver glasses and could never get it to do what I wanted. I followed tips from Double Helix themselves and from others here on LE. I put the glass away for awhile and recently have used Terra, Gaia, and Kronos (the original) and just played around trying to forget what I have been told to do with it. And for me, that was the secret. I've finally gotten colors out of all of them. I think trying to use every one else's tips was what was keeping me from the glass's capabilities. I still can't get anything from my Olympia Rain though...

Carolyn M 2007-06-16 7:46am

Didn't you already post a thread in the bathroom yesterday regarding this? I think you got a lot of responses from that thread. There is no big secret, work it hot, remove from the flame, let it cool to amber, then re-introduce into the flame and play until you get the colour you want. The Terra thread talks a lot about this.

If you can't get it to work, sell it in the Garage Sale

nagibeads 2007-06-16 8:09am

I missed your earlier thread...sorry you are having troubles with this glass....it can be a bit tricky!
what torch and setup do you have? That may be a big factor. Also kiln temp.--try a low setting.
If there were any secret, it is in understanding the phases of silver growth in glass.
Here is a link to Glass Alchemy's info on silver colors. please scroll to the segment on Phase Separation, Crystal growth and nucleation. yes, their glass is boro, but the information is exactly the same.....:
http://www.glassalchemyarts.com/supp...pg1.html#phase

Good Luck! And if it is too frustrating, put it down and play with something else for a bit. Your mind will work on it subconsciously and you may be pleasantly surprised to be able to work it later:-)

Judi_B 2007-06-16 8:11am

:wtf:
This is really getting old, bkbeads!! Two threads in two days slaming Kim Neely because she can get this glass to work and you can't. She has detailed the variables you're going to have to play with to get the glass to work in your hands. At one point she even gave detailed information on how she works the glass. And you know what? It's the same information that you will find in the Terra thread and it's the same information people repeated several times yesterday in your thread in the bathroom. Once again - work it hot in an oxy rich flame until at least the top layer of glass goes clear, let it cool until it goes amber, then gently reheat and cool and watch for color development. Yes, you will probably have to play with the chemistry of your flame and just how hot to work it. You may even need to turn your kiln down. No one can tell you how to make it work on your system, you just have to quit bitching and keep trying.

Edit June 18: Corri changed the title of this thread to something more appropriate (see post 43). I agree completely with the editing of the title, however people new to the thread may now wonder what all the fuss is about. The original title was 'The Secret of Terra, Only Kim Neely Knows' or something close to that. Some of us are tired of Kim being called out for keeping secrets, when in fact she has been very generous in her advice for working this glass.

Peach Blossom Beads 2007-06-16 8:21am

You know what you're missing? THERE ARE NO TRICKS OR SECRETS TO THIS GLASS! THERE JUST AREN'T. NONE.

And Kim is NOT the only person who can get the glass to work. There just the only beads you bothered to look at. I've NEVER had any issues with any DH glass and got immediate color out of my first terra bead and haven't had any issues at all. There are a ton of bead-makers here that get excellent color out of it and make gorgeous beads. It's not rocket science.

What do you want? Numbered step-by-step directions? Well there aren't any. Do you think we're hiding something? We're not. But even if we were, after all your bitching I doubt anyone would tell you.
I think you're trying too hard. I think most people who are trying and saying they're failing either aren't failing but are looking for something more amazing than the glass can accomplish (so they thing they're failing), or they're just trying TOO hard. Terra couldn't possibly be any easier to work.

Either sell it or put it away for a while. But stop complaining about Kim and stop posting threads about the same issue over and over. If you can't do it, then you can't do it. No one is going to do it for you.

debkauz 2007-06-16 8:34am

I would suggest that you try just what 'KN' did. Work with it until you get results. No one owes you the information except Double Helix and it's on their website.

Peach Blossom Beads 2007-06-16 8:39am

Question:

How much of this glass have you actually used trying to get results?

Kim used 5lbs.

lenora 2007-06-16 8:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbeads (Post 1221999)
Would it be too much for Double Helix to acually tell those that fork over the big bucks to them to enlighten us about how to get the true colors out of the glass?? I certainly am missing a big part of how to work that glass. BK](*,)

They did! At least with my order. I got detailed instructions along with my glass. I did exactly what they said and got great results the first time I used it.

lunamoonshadow 2007-06-16 8:45am

Man! I thought I was having a case of DeJaVu...or in the wrong room or somethin'....
I know it took a friend of mine a couple of *years* (yes YEARS!) to figure out how to work Raku on a hothead--(yes, it can be done)--& get something other than the beige/browns out of it--it was worth it to them to figure out & to "waste time & glass on" (Raku's not really "cheap" either--not as pricey as the R4/DH glasses, but not $10 a pound...)
If it's not worth it to you, or to frustrating, give it up. If it's worth it, figure it out. Just like *everything else* in life.
There are "directions & hints" everywhere--other than someone coming to your HOUSE & setting up your station for you & figuring out what *your* particular torch & kiln needs to be set on/at to get it to work, I don't think there's much else anyone can do for you! It's a challenging product--either you're up to the challenge, or you're NOT--and that's for you to decide--not to whine all over the boards about!
~luna
who can't even afford a damn rod of the stuff & is getting sick of people who can afford to buy the stuff in the first place whining about how they're fortunate enough to have expensive toys but too lazy to figure out how to work them properly!

FourTailsLampwork 2007-06-16 9:29am

HEar, hear, Lunamoonshadow! Be happy you can afford the glass to play with.

I'm finally getting some colour out of my raku, and figuring out hwat works for me. Yes, tips help--I read EVERYTHING in the raku thread--but a lot of it is just ppp.

Quicksilverart 2007-06-16 9:45am

Sheese...do I sense some testy people here or what?

FourTailsLampwork 2007-06-16 10:14am

Maybe we've ALL been frustrated by one (or more glass). Sorry, bk, didn't mean to take out frustration abut raku on you. On the other hand, it is part of the process--and, ya know, oddly enough part of the fun. Being frustrated and trying technique after technique, not taking out frustration on other LE members, that is.

AKDesigns 2007-06-16 10:21am

This thread is just annoying when you already posted the exact same thing in the Bathroom yesterday. BTW, Kim isn't the only lampwork artist on this planet that can work glass. I get really pissed when I hear that kind of attitude. Your slamming a lot of lampwork artists here by saying that. I got a rod of Terra from Chris and I couldn't do crap with it but I was pulling stringers from the rod and using those. I finally broke down and ordered 1/2lb and used it straight from the rod this time and I got colors right off the bat. It's really not that hard to work...raku is much harder for me. I just find the glass inconsistent with the colors it produces but you just gotta roll with that.

AKDesigns 2007-06-16 10:23am

BK, I gotta ask...how long have you been working with glass?

suzanne 2007-06-16 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKDesigns (Post 1222278)
This thread is just annoying when you already posted the exact same thing in the Bathroom yesterday. BTW, Kim isn't the only lampwork artist on this planet that can work glass. I get really pissed when I hear that kind of attitude. Your slamming a lot of lampwork artists here by saying that. I got a rod of Terra from Chris and I couldn't do crap with it but I was pulling stringers from the rod and using those. I finally broke down and ordered 1/2lb and used it straight from the rod this time and I got colors right off the bat. It's really not that hard to work...raku is much harder for me. I just find the glass inconsistent with the colors it produces but you just gotta roll with that.

Thank you. I saw the bathroom thread as well, I couldn't agree with you more:)

lldesigns 2007-06-16 11:02am

Sounds like someone is hoping to goad Kim into revealing her secrets! I have to tell you, like everyone before me in this thread, that even if she did give you step by step instructions, it probably wouldn't work for you on your particular setup. I had to go through almost half a pound of this expensive glass before I was finally able to get some decent color. It was painful, exasperating, depressing, frustrating, and finally when the color starting blooming regularly, exhilarating! There is no easy answer!!! You have to try, try again, and then try yet again using different flame chemistries, holding the bead closer in or further out, super cooling, cooling a little, etc. etc. I like the post that said "throw out the tips you've read so far and start over on your own." Play with the glass and as Kim said, "Let the glass reveal itself to you."

If you're not willing to do the work, don't buy the glass...

Blueflameart 2007-06-16 11:03am

Ummmmm, change of heart here, my bad ... floggin to the noggin is well deserved. Come getcha some! 8)

Kalera 2007-06-16 11:16am

Did you read the thread in the Bathroom yesterday? Her post is a copy & paste of that one. Pretty much everyone told her the same thing... that the basic instructions are on the DH website, that Kim Neely has nothing to do with anyone else's ability to work or not work the glass and should be left out of other people's frustrations, and that no matter how detailed of instructions people type out, there is no substitute for just working the glass because everyone's torch, working style, and kiln are DIFFERENT.

That's why people are irritated, Chad... it's not that she doesn't have the right to ask the question, it's the way she's asking, and that she reposted the question a day later... either because she didn't like the multitude of answers she got last night, or because she didn't come back to read them.

Blueflameart 2007-06-16 11:22am

I got ya ... kinda wish I wouldn't have put in my 2 cents 8) BUT, some can just leave it alone ya know? Just don't type 8)

Kalera 2007-06-16 11:23am

The directions for working it, directly from the ordering page on the DH website:

"Unlike previous Double Helix colors Terra does not require a reduction flame to strike. Instead work hot (till clear) cool, and reheat. Colors vary depending on heat treatment. Cooler working yields creams,tans and browns. Hotter working yeilds purples, blues, and greens. For best results, use Terra with clear, work hot, cool, and reheat."

The thing is, that's all it boils down to. You could post a million pages on the exact permutations of how you strike it, but it still boils down to heat, cool, reheat, kiln. I like to reduce it a little (I just got some, I'm still on the learning curve) in a fuming flame for a hint of luster. Probably won't work the same on different torches. If it's troubleshooting she wants, then there's something like 800 posts on it here: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ighlight=terra I sure don't see any secretiveness in those 800+ posts, and a lot of people are getting spectacular color out of it.

with more detailed information that you can shake a stick at. Want tips? Read.

The ongoing slamming of Kim Neely is unwarranted and inappropriate. If you want to work the damn glass, work it, and leave your jealousy of other glassworkers out of it.

AKDesigns 2007-06-16 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueflameart (Post 1222312)
Seems to me that a person (with 8 posts mind you) should be able to ask any question they want as many times as the friggin feel like it. Nobody asked any of you to reply to this thread. Complete assholes is what I make out of some of ya. Something tells me she just wanted to reach someone/anyone that might have missed a flushed topic.

Slam away, just my 2cents, I know it doesn't mean much 8)

I don't see much in the way of questions asked in her post. Instead I see whinning. Assholes?...gee, thanks.

AKDesigns 2007-06-16 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalera (Post 1222329)

The ongoing slamming of Kim Neely is unwarranted and inappropriate. If you want to work the damn glass, work it, and leave your jealousy of other glassworkers out of it.

That's exactly what BK's post comes down to....jealousy and slamming.

Blueflameart 2007-06-16 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKDesigns (Post 1222330)
I don't see much in the way of questions asked in her post. Instead I see whinning. Assholes?...gee, thanks.

Nah, most are great peeps. Everyone's entitled to a splurt every once and again. My bad ](*,)

Kalera 2007-06-16 11:32am

Hey, we've all done it... :lol:

{{{{{{{{{Chad}}}}}}}}}