Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beads of Courage (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   2014 Iditarod Beads on the Trail Call to Artists (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259377)

alaskagirl 2014-01-25 2:43pm

2014 Iditarod Beads on the Trail Call to Artists

Alaska Beads of Courage (BOC) artists are calling all LE artists to rise to the BOC Iditarod Challenge. This will be our third year of collecting lampwork beads to ride the exciting trail of the last great race on earth. Beads collected will be packaged along with the official BOC pewter Husky, musher thank you note, and a card to return with the bead with a personal note to a child from the musher.

Note to artists - suitable beads are those that can survive a 998 mile dog sled ride through the coldest and most beautiful country on earth. Of course we will be packaging your artwork for the ride and all pieces returned have survived the trip. See the following link on facebook for an album of what we've done in past years (
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
). We are asking artists to donate 12 beads (of any suitable medium). Two beads will ride the trail -- one for a child in the BOC Program, and one as a keepsake for the Musher. The remaining beads will be auctioned off at the annual Alaska BOC flame off.

We will let each artist know which musher is carrying your artwork so you can track them on the trail. There are 72 Mushers committed at this point so please help us meet the goal of each of them carrying handmade beads.

All beads due to Artmosphere Studio by Feb 24 to be packaged up. Delivery to mushers is on Thursday, February 27 to ready for the March 2 race start date.

Please send your bead to:

Artmosphere Studio
801 East 82nd Avenue, Unit 16A
Anchorage, Alaska. 99518

Please provide your contact information as well as your LE id.

thanks much in advance

Beads Received

Kimberly Parsons - Wade Marrs (bib 67)
Kris Schiable - Katherine Keith (bib 63), Justin Savidis (bib 34), Cindy Abbott (bib 46)
Lezlie Foster - Jan Steves (bib 40), Michelle Barton (VET)
Robert Simmons - Lev Shvarts (bib 31), Karen Ramstead (bib 59), Jen Reiter (Teacher on the Trail)
Elizabeth Bunn - Nathan Schroeder (bib 25)
Jill Hoblick - Martin Buser (bib 36)
Marcy Lamberson - Scot Janssen (bib 20)
Karen Ottenbreit - Marcelle Fressineau (bib 50)
Pat LeGere - Elliot Anderson (bib 55)
Chris McElroy - John Baker (bib 53), Dee Dee Jonrowe (bib 16), Ray Redington, Jr (bib 51), Erika Gillam (VET)
Ginger Young - Curt Perano (bib 2), Charley Bejna (bib 26), Erika Gillam (VET)
Elizabeth Ricks - Abbey West (bib 69), Mike Santos (bib 68)
Terri Atwell - Kristy Berington (bib 56)
Lynn Hunt - Joar Leifseth Ulsom (bib 47), Lisbet Norris (bib 41), Erica Gillum (VET)
Michelle Waldren - Newton Marshall (bib 9)
Kim Johnson - Anna Berington (bib 52), Richie Diehl (bib 11), Dawn Sessions (VET)
Laurel Christians - Cindy Gallea (bib 42), Tommy Jordbrudal (bib 12), Jessie Royer (bib 27)
Carolyn Hipskind - Aaron Burmeister (23)
Loey Gi'Stayden - Nicolas Petit (bib 29), Michelle Barton (VET)
Laura Young - Matt Failor (bib 57)
Rhonda Hagerman - John Dixon (bib 45)
Robin Jorrey - Michelle Phillips (bib 15)
Georgia Van Zyle - Rick Casillo (bib 30), Randy Basaraba (VET)
Michelle Pearson - Sonny Linder (bib 70), Yvonne Dabakk (bib 8)
Glenda Edwards - Michael Williams Jr (bib 7), Mats Pettersson (bib 44)
Kay Teeters - Mike Ellis (bib 66)
Sarah Sanjurjo - Aliy Zirkle (bib 10)
Flamin' Francesca - Dallas Seavey (bib 14), Ellen Halverson (bib 24)
Honore Buckley - (Hugh Neff (bib 61), Travis Beals (bib 48), Lisa Galvin (VET)
Morgan Campbell - Danny Seavey (bib 62)
Carol Jones - Robert Bundtzen (bib 64)
Liz Langley - Alex Buetow (bib 60)
Julie Levitt - Ralph Johannessen (bib 54), Michelle Barton (BET)
Joy McLaurin - Paul Gebhardt (bib 35)
Elise Strauss - Sonny Linder (70)
Heather Thrall Roscoe - Cim Smyth (bib 28)

Laura

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RSimmons 2014-01-26 10:39am

I'm working on some sets today.

Update - I have 10 pairs of beads in the kiln and will have them shipped in a day or so.

Robert

GypsieJulesJewelry 2014-01-26 7:27pm

Yippieee Skiiiiiipie! Thank you Robert for your donation. I can't wait to see what the mail box will have.

BellaBean 2014-01-26 7:41pm

I'm working on some.

Robinj 2014-01-27 9:27am

Do you prefer 12 that all match or have the same theme, or pairs?

Thanks!

RSimmons 2014-01-27 9:52am

I generally make the carry beads in matched pairs. The may need a few non-matched to go into the fund raiser.

robert

Eileen 2014-01-27 5:44pm

So two alike, and 10 that can be anything?

Eileen 2014-01-27 5:45pm

Anyone else not able to access the album?

Mountain Lady 2014-01-27 6:20pm

12 identical guys headed to Alaska in tomorrows mail!

Mountain Lady 2014-01-27 6:22pm

The link posted doesn't work.
here is a new one

Elizabeth Beads 2014-01-27 6:35pm

Mine will be going out soon. :)

alaskagirl 2014-01-27 8:19pm

Thanks so much for providing an updated link. We will take anything you generously provide. We've been asking for 12 of the same or themed, but like many lampworkers, I have a tough time with sets... Especially 12 so try for a variation of a theme. Again, whatever you can send, we will happily take. Thanks again, Laura

Curly Irish Girl 2014-01-27 9:36pm

Think this is something I would love to do! Hope for a few non-polar vortex cold days later this week....will see if muse is frozen or working!!

sra-p96 2014-01-28 2:48pm

I did not see the 12 :( I think I put 9 in the mail yesterday. I will try to get some more made to send in :)

alaskagirl 2014-01-28 10:51pm

SRA, don't sweat it. 12 is our wish, but we will take whatever we can get. Thanks so much. Laura

Silver Moon Lampwork 2014-01-29 1:18pm

So I'm assuming that you prefer small or medium sized beads rather than large focal size?

Mountain Lady 2014-01-29 5:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Moon Lampwork (Post 4519781)
So I'm assuming that you prefer small or medium sized beads rather than large focal size?

I think any size as long as they will hold up well to the ride. I know BOC is always asking for larger beads since they get a ton of the smaller ones :)

Silver Moon Lampwork 2014-01-29 5:54pm

Thanks. I'll see if I can come up with some rugged beads. I'll avoid delicate raised decorations :wink:

RSimmons 2014-01-30 9:05am

Here are my 16 bead pairs on the way to the Iditarod today as soon as the ice here in the Sunny South clears enough to get out of our neighborhood.

Robert

preciousglass 2014-01-30 12:14pm

Are the extra 10 beads auctioned off as a set, as pairs, or individually?

Mountain Lady 2014-01-30 5:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by preciousglass (Post 4520671)
Are the extra 10 beads auctioned off as a set, as pairs, or individually?

They are auctioned off as BOGO, buy one, give one, so 2 at a time. The winner receives their bead and the other one is given to BOC for the kids :)

Denielle 2014-01-30 7:02pm

I'm sending mine tomorrow :)

Curly Irish Girl 2014-01-30 7:06pm

Got started on mine today!

preciousglass 2014-01-30 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountain Lady (Post 4520935)
They are auctioned off as BOGO, buy one, give one, so 2 at a time. The winner receives their bead and the other one is given to BOC for the kids :)

Thanks for the info. I'm really excited about this, so I'll try to squeeze in some time to make these.

Elizabeth Beads 2014-01-31 6:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountain Lady (Post 4520935)

I didn't realize that, mine are mailed, but not technically pairs. They are focal size too. They're all the same style, so hopefully they'll work out. I'm excited to have a musher carry two of my beads and to help BOC this way.

Mountain Lady 2014-01-31 7:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads (Post 4521194)
I didn't realize that, mine are mailed, but not technically pairs. They are focal size too. They're all the same style, so hopefully they'll work out. I'm excited to have a musher carry two of my beads and to help BOC this way.

I'm sure they will be perfect!

Here is a link to all of the information anyone needs!

Baywinger 2014-01-31 1:26pm

I will get on making some asap

Robinj 2014-01-31 2:11pm

I'm crossing my fingers that I can defrost my propane enough to make them this weekend!

Robinj 2014-01-31 2:13pm

Are we able to buy a pewter husky bead?

alaskagirl 2014-01-31 7:21pm

I will ask about the husky bead. There is a total mix of what comes in... 12 of the same, 12 totally different, big, small, just 1, etc. I'm excited that so many of you are sending beads in. Depending on how many artists we get to help determines how we split up the beads. If there are 70+ mushers, and we only have 30 artists, we will split up the sets and one artist's beads may go with several different mushers. SOOO, Many hands make light work. Laura