Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   How Many Colors - Soft Glass Only (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40288)

lunamoonshadow 2008-05-18 9:50pm

Do ya think Lynnie would notice if we "cleaned" her glass racks for her? :lol:

danelady 2008-05-18 10:04pm

Lynnie probably wouldn't notice AT ALL, unless one of you ordered twisties and I didn't have the glass to make them! LOL
Quote:

Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow (Post 1860332)
Do ya think Lynnie would notice if we "cleaned" her glass racks for her? :lol:

Sylvie D. 2008-05-22 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimberly (Post 876504)
ROFL!!! I feel your pain! I have lots of shades of yellow and orange. Do I use yellow and orange? No. But I have a lot of it. I helps me to sleep at night knowing that if I EVER need yellow and orange, I will have it. There is probably a name for this particular illness.

THANK YOU! I couldn't have phrased it any better. And it did put a huge smile on my face and that, I believe, is good for what I'm suffering from! LOL

Sylvie

Marcy 2008-05-23 4:01am

I've got that same illness and the only cure is MORE glass.

Marcy

pinkcb 2008-11-18 3:31pm

Girls I am here to help you with your addiction problems. It won't take 12 steps...just 2. First package up 1/2 the glass you have, nicely. Then simply ship the package to me. I'm here to help!

MelanieG 2008-11-18 8:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfit (Post 879226)
I know there are plenty of other people who use my buying modle, and just don't want to admitt it. They're afraid we'll start a support group or something and they won't end up filling every cubic inch of their houses with glass and having to sleep in the garage...

I haven't actually made more than a couple of large-ish purchases because I only just started melting silicate crack this summer, but I fantasy-shop like this almost every day. I keep thinking I'll get bored of looking at all the same boring colour swatches, but I don't seem to be. Also, for some reason, not actually buying it doesn't seem to be bumming me out. The shopping is fun regardless :)

I'm afraid of what will happen to me if I ever start selling my beads and I actually have 'all glass money' to spend.

MelanieG 2008-11-18 9:14pm

Oh my god.

I actually went and counted my glass colours, just to see. I only have a rod or two (or less) of most things, but after only lampworking for five months, I have...

I buy a few rods every time I go to torch... I guess it adds up?

144 colours.

I feel ill. Is there a cure? :D

tnehlers 2008-11-19 12:15pm

I have a spreadsheet of all my glass too. I realized I had to make one when I almost ordered a few colors I already had (and had yet to try). I have about 135 colors of Effetre, Vetro, CiM, and Lauscha (only 2 Lauscha...so far...). I'm kind of surprised by this because I never seem to have the right color for the bead I want to make! My problem is that I look at all these colors that I never use, and I decide to use one to get rid of it (since it is just sitting there taking up space). Then I am upset that I used it up and I order more!

parisgal 2008-11-20 1:01am

Yes, I understand :sagely nodding her head at Theresa and Melanie: This is the way it starts. And threads like this make us realize we are not alone, there are others out there like us.

And that there is no real reason to change :D

lunamoonshadow 2008-11-20 1:24pm

I just LOOKED at the Wale site (I have no cash to spend, but I had to look & drool, they're having a contest after all :roll:)...and...they've got a CIM SAMPLER...there are FIFTY TWO COLORS OF CIM in the SAMPLER...(that's without odds/uniques/etc...) I want to cry. I've only got the "first" CIM colors. Yeah, the first sampler that Jon put up. I've been on a glass "diet" that long....I have like 13 or 14 colors of CIM....that I haven't wanted to melt, 'cause I might like them & I *know* I can't replace those single rods....:cry:....(I bought the sampler to try, so I could decide which ones to buy 1/4 pounds or more of...then I lost my job, & even though I finally got re-employed, I'm still digging out!)
Never mind all the ODDS of vetro & effetre I've missed, the cool colors, etc....
sigh....

Marcy 2008-11-20 2:21pm

I couldn't find Wale's contest. Can you direct me?
thanks,
Marcy
ps I don't even have as many colors as you do of CIM.

lunamoonshadow 2008-11-20 2:58pm

It's in the sale rack...for a TP Masher.... http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=112129

Marcy 2008-11-20 3:08pm

Thanks so much. What a great prize. And no talent needed!
Marcy

krisb16 2008-11-20 6:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgurden (Post 1529927)
there are drugs for this!

Yeah, but who wants to take them? :-k

I have at least one rod of every color I can find. I'm a glass 'ho. Haven't gotten around to trying them all, but I love the pretty colors. :biggrin:

Got to have more, gimme more!!!

PurpleCatJewels 2008-11-20 9:01pm

'Nuther glass ho' here...

As a newbie I have probably accumulated 81-100 different colors, in just 4 months.

I am LIMITING myself to 104 COE. I have such limited space.

~Rachelle :-D

parisgal 2008-11-20 9:06pm

I *wish* I could limit myself to one COE. But then I wouldn't have those love dark transparents, and some of those lovely sparkly colors, and that pink and that blue....

I have no willpower. And there has been so many new or odd colors in the past year and a half. :D

Jaterwunky 2008-11-20 9:16pm

My storage is buckling under the weight....... i probably have over 200lbs easy of glass
Is there a problem?????

parisgal 2008-11-21 2:57am

Yes, there's a problem. You've obviously been sold deficient storage. :D

lunamoonshadow 2008-11-22 6:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleCatJewels (Post 2208616)
'Nuther glass ho' here...

As a newbie I have probably accumulated 81-100 different colors, in just 4 months.

I am LIMITING myself to 104 COE. I have such limited space.

You've obviously never gotten a good look at a bullseye catalog (coe 90) or taken a look at Gail's ( www.ggglass.com ) handpulled gaffer-based canes & duos (coe 96) have you? Colors to die for...and stuff you just can't FIND in 104....:badgrin::twisted: Even my younger brother who doesn't even melt glass thought Gail's cane looked amazing & wanted to know "how does she get those rings of color in there? that's cool!"

(and limited space? ROFL....my torch & everything that goes with it is in the corner of my bedroom....:lol:)

PurpleCatJewels 2008-11-22 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow (Post 2211524)
You've obviously never gotten a good look at a bullseye catalog (coe 90) or taken a look at Gail's ( www.ggglass.com ) handpulled gaffer-based canes & duos (coe 96) have you? Colors to die for...and stuff you just can't FIND in 104....:badgrin::twisted: Even my younger brother who doesn't even melt glass thought Gail's cane looked amazing & wanted to know "how does she get those rings of color in there? that's cool!"

(and limited space? ROFL....my torch & everything that goes with it is in the corner of my bedroom....:lol:)

I'm NOT listening...lalalalalalala (thumbs in ears, hands over eyes...)

SELSEY 2009-07-25 12:19am

Glass Ho

2 Attachment(s)
If you count the endless shades of coral and just effetre, vetrofond and CIM I have way over 200.

Here are pictures of the great soft glass storage that my son Chris made for me. It has lighting on each level making it easier to see the colors before I pull them. There are 3 sections and on the bottom of each section there are bigger cubbies for glass that I have mega amounts of like rubino, ink blue, periwinkle, copper green, opal yellow and the pinks. I love looking at how pretty it is, like a rainbow!

The tall area on the right hand side of the second picture is reserved for clear, white, black and ivory. The shallow wooden drawers that you see are frit drawers. Each drawer is just deep enough to hold one layer of frit jars and there are holes drilled in the bottom so that the jars drop down and hang by their lids. That way there is no shifting of the jars.

All of the Reichenback/Zimmerman/Bullseye and boro are in the same type of storage on another wall.

tasminann 2009-07-25 4:29am

Oh my, Sheryl, that is a GORGEOUS system. Your son needs to hire out to some of us!

I probably only have about 100 colors, as I tend to use a lot of the same ones over and over. Of course on the other hand I have several different whites, several different blacks, several different clears. *sigh*

Well, maybe over 100. But I really don't think I'm up to 200....yet. ;)

Humble newbie 2009-07-25 4:36am

Sheryl, sweet!!!

Elizabeth Beads 2009-07-25 5:56pm

300? :hide:

What do I win?

More glass I hope!

:)

overthere 2009-07-27 2:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SELSEY (Post 2591410)

Here are pictures of the great soft glass storage that my son Chris made for me.

:shock:

*THUNK*

I've just started and besides a sampler of shorties and a trade of misc. rod for some polymer clay, I've ordered my first 3 colors. And one of those is white! Selsey, that looks like a museum display or something! Wow, I'd be totally overwhelmed and would probably just stand there and stare. Or drool, or something! lol.

PerfectDeb 2009-07-27 7:48pm

i have 60 slots and each one has at least 3 colours - some i only have one rod, so thats about 180ish

gallerygal 2009-07-28 10:14pm

Sheryl, I'm in awe! :grin:

What a fantastic set-up, you must love working with it!!

As for my glass collection....

I have a total of 444 colours from Vetrofond, Effetre (including filigrana, opalinos, alabasters, tubing, etc.), CIM, TAG, Precision, GTG, DH, ASK, Kugler 104, Bullseye, Caliente, Gaffer, Lauscha & Reichenbach.

That doesn't include my Satake that I haven't unpacked since I did a course in May last year :hide:

Boro - I didn't count it, it's just sitting there collecting dust....maturing in the corner like fine wine!

Then there are sample packs from 6 manufacturers - some of those are duplicates in case I loved the colours so much I'd be able to melt at least one rod :-D. The singletons are just for admiring :cool:

Marianne.

demcc2 2009-07-29 7:47am

I voted and said 21-40, as I don't have much space. Once I get rid of more junk in my garage, I'll re-arrange my studio and room for more. I feel embarassed to mention my number though...since people are mentioning more manufacturers I need to bump my vote up one notch!

Duane

gallerygal 2009-07-29 4:05pm

Hey Duane,

Don't feel embarassed, it can only get better from here on in :grin: . Feel proud that you have the start of a mighty fine collection!

We all had to start somewhere.....my collecting started 9 years ago, so have had plenty of time to add to it! :-\"

Bullseye was my one and only glass for about 2 years, I hadn't even heard of Moretti/Effetre :lol: let alone all the other enablers!

Marianne.

JoeDeM 2009-07-31 7:11am

I only have 30, but I mostly use clear and black, I do a lot of dichro right now, so I haven't had a lot of time to play with other colors, in fact I'm still fusing a lot of dichro.