Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beads of Courage (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Best etsy convo ever! (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213039)

jeepinwelch 2011-12-16 5:42pm

Best etsy convo ever!

I just got a convo from a lovely 16 year old who is a member of the Beads of Courage from a distance program. I'm not sure what the program is but regardless, this young lady was kind enough to let me know that she loves my beads and so do the kids that receive them. I don't know how she knows that I have donated many beads, maybe it's just a shot in the dark. I always worry since the beads I send are more florals and landscapes and not the cute ones. Now I know for sure that they are loved and that makes me feel so good about participating in the program. I haven't sent anything in awhile but she has motivated me to get off my butt and send more in.
Thank you Hannah!

Robinj 2011-12-16 6:02pm

How wonderful!

Do you have a BOC hospital near you that you could visit? I work for one and have been able to meet some of the kids and their parents. It's amazing!

Diane Woodall 2011-12-16 7:16pm

I know sometimes it seems like we are sending our beads into this deep abyss, but there are real, live, loving caring people who receive them at headquarters...and they know who we are...and wonderful kids waiting at the other end. There is nothing impersonal about BOC, and how wonderful to hear from one of the kids who has benefited directly from your donation. What an honor!

ginger2 2011-12-16 7:32pm

How nice of a sweet person to write and let you know how much your beads mean to them~! I am so grateful for the BOC program and all the wonderful things it allows us to do for the children.
ginger

rosebud101 2011-12-16 8:20pm

I got that same convo. She even sent a photo of her beads. She was looking for purple hearts and came across my blog. Wow! She was a busy young lady!

Sheila D. 2011-12-16 8:22pm

Cool!

rosebud101 2011-12-16 8:26pm

One interesting thing Hannah said was that when it comes to children's hospitals, it's all about the little ones. She said that teens can be overlooked. I don't think she meant the care, but she was talking about beads. I had asked her what teens might like, and she did give me some good ideas. She said that some of the beads gave her real peace.

jeepinwelch 2011-12-16 8:34pm

So what ideas did she give you Mallory? Maybe there is something I can work with.

Eileen 2011-12-16 9:11pm

Never mind, I was thinking I was reading in the other room, and this might get flushed!
Anyway, I'd love to hear some ideas. I did make one today with my first attempt at putting some vines & a few tiny flowers, but I'm sure there are other ideas & would love to hear them.

rosebud101 2011-12-17 4:51am

Here's what Hannah said in her convo. I don't think she'll mind me quoting her. Hi!

the beads with the most detail are my favorite. I have one with ity bitty peguns in it, I also have a bead with a small heart in it. I also like to feel calm when i hold them, i have a purple bead with swirls, it makes me calm and happy. Im sure teens would love skulls, but it seems like those are given to the little ones. I love flowers! i have 3 on my strand!
But my favorite are animal beads. I have only gotten the penguin one, but I really hope someday ill get a cat bead ( i have a roll poly fat cat that keeps me company at home when I'm sick-(arnie) i love him soooo much!)
also retro is back- 8o's 70's neon colors

i think if you put a note on the slip you turn in when you donate beads you could say you would like them to go to teens

hannah

ps
thanks for being supportive of teens. we are often over looked at children's hospitals things are just ALWAYs aimed at younger kids- there is no in-between :P

RSimmons 2011-12-17 6:47am

It's great that you heard from the recipient of your bead - it does really bring it home when you can connect your donation with a real child. We try to be sure that all of our kids get the attention that they deserve but there are always variations in the over all 'culture' at different hospitals. Your beads always find a child or teen that will cherish them.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Robert

Eileen 2011-12-17 8:09am

Thanks for sharing her thoughts. I'll keep them in mind when I'm making BOC beads, and I think those would also be good for the younger kids so either way somebody will appreciate them.
I guess I need to figure out how to do skulls, maybe put some flowers on them or something to keep them cheerful, more Day of the Dead type than scary maybe...

Marcy 2011-12-17 8:42am

Thank you for sharing that info, Mallory. This type of thing really makes it real, doesn't it?

PaulaP 2011-12-17 10:21am

I too recieved a lovely convo from Hannah. It truly warmed my heart and after ready this thread has motivated me to see what I can come up with for the teens.

rosebud101 2011-12-17 2:52pm

I agree with all of the above! Hannah is a lovely young lady, and it was so nice of her to share her thoughts with us!

Jeri 2011-12-18 12:44pm

BOC is coming to an NJ hospital (in Morristown) and it will be a chance, I hope, to get even more involved. I have still been teaming with Watchung Hills Regional High School, and hope to work with a teacher there for a curriculum model that will enable more of us (beadmakers) to do outreach in schools for BOC. It is a good program, I love it. Jeri

Marcy 2012-02-21 9:50am

Hi everyone. Did anyone who heard from Hannah learn her last name? I'm sending her a surprise box with a few beads and got her address, but not her last name.
thanks,
Marcy

rosebud101 2012-02-22 10:51am

Marcy, she didn't give me her last name, but she has an etsy account. I'll check there.

Marcy 2012-02-22 10:59am

Thanks Mallory. I have sent it. I just addressed it to Hannah the bead lover. ;). Fingers crossed it arrives. Chock full of fun stuff.

rosebud101 2012-02-22 11:01am

I did not find a last name. She does live in MN though.

Marcy 2012-02-22 11:21am

Thanks so much for looking!

rosebud101 2012-02-22 5:11pm

Not a problem, Marcy! That was so sweet of you to send her beads!!! :)

Reenie 2012-02-23 1:07pm

Mallory,
She's a sweetheart. I got the same message from her. It's nice that she took time out to do it!

hi!
my name is hannah, i am 16 and a member of the beads of courage beads from a distance program. I just wanted to say thank you for all you do. The beads you make put a smile on my face and on the faces of kids/teens around the world :)

hope you have a happy christmas!
love from minnesota

-hannah

Marcy 2012-02-23 1:17pm

Irene, you are always such a wonderful supporter of the program and of course Mallory too. It's kind of nice when it becomes more personal, isn't it? I just like to feel connected.

12upgig18 2012-02-28 6:11pm

:wave: HI

my name is hannah :)
i am the culprit behind the etsy covos :biggrin:
:biggrin:
i found this thread by spending Way to much time online when i should be studying for the ACT :-\"

(love all these faces :biggrin: )

i made this acount so that i could respond to this thread :)... and thank marcy again for the package :)

i am 16 and now have over 800 beads
and hopefully getting close to my purple heart :biggrin:
i am in the chronic/serious illness from a distance program

thank you so so so much for sharing your wonderful talents for this wonderful program!!!

it has helped me a lot

<3 hannah :happy:

Marcy 2012-02-28 6:15pm

Hannah I'm glad you found us. And maybe when you get a little older, you can learn to make beads. I can tell you sure like them!

So glad they help you!
Marcy
ps Now please go study for your ACT. It's important and we'll still be here when you're done.

angelique_redhead 2012-02-29 4:40am

Hannah, don't forget to put an address in the RAOGK (Random Act Of Glass Kindness). You never know what glassy folks will send and most have extra beads running around occasionally. :love: Angelique

rosebud101 2012-02-29 5:26am

Hannah, thank you so much for contacting us! It made us feel so appreciated! Also, thanks for the info about what teens like for beads. Glad you are here on LE!

glaslight 2012-03-06 12:41pm

Hannah, So glad you joined us on LE! :waving: If you have any ideas of what girls your age are looking for in beads we always appreciate the help!

Sounds like an up and coming lampworker to me.

Marcy 2012-03-22 5:34am

Hey, Hannah has a blog now.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I sure enjoy reading it. ;)