Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   How Many Colors - Soft Glass Only (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40288)

Bill Thornton 2007-11-24 9:40pm

I have a kbizzzillion!!!!!
Almost that any way.
More coming!!!!!
Bill T.

LaurieBSmith 2007-11-25 8:47am

I'm not going to count...but I have all the Effetre, most of the Bullseye, and some of the Lauscha, and some Double Helix....and something else I don't know the name of....

but, I want more.....

loverofclay 2007-11-26 11:25am

Hey newbie here. If anyone thinks that they may need to clean out there glass or that they have to much...Feel free to PM me. I only have a handful of rods.

kittyluv4ever 2007-11-26 11:47am

Hi Meg, so you have caught the bug to huh? Have you posted in the Secret Santa List yet? You post your wants and if someone has it and wants to send it they do. I asked for a couple of impossibles but hey why not it's a wish list!!

mokodesigns 2007-12-07 11:35am

Hi..
im the same as meg...ive got mine in jars, but its not alot.
I learned to lampwork in NC while on a teaching exchange....
and if i still lived there...id probably buy glass rather than groceries!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but I do the "ooo, thats a nice coloured bottle...I'll make beads from that."
I know all the bartenders at the resorts and im always asking...."when that bottle is finished, yep the nice blue one, can I have it??? would you save it for me pretty please???" (they think im strange, but thats okay)
just made lovely spacers from Bombay Saphire Gin bottles...a very light transparent blue, and some light transparent olive spacers from wine bottles.

I cant imagine walking in a glass shop and not coming home with a car load of glass!!!!!....
mmmmmmm, probably why DH brought me to live on an island.:shock:....its further from the store!!!!LOL!!!!!!:waving:

jewlie beads 2007-12-07 8:24pm

Oh My Gosh! I don't come even close. I have maybe 20 colors in full rods and thats counting the ones that I only have one rod of too. I'm just going to have to sell all of hubby's toys so I can get more glass.LOL!

C-Ann 2007-12-08 8:45pm

Thanks for making me think about just how much glass I have - not counting the boro.........\\:D/

bgurden 2007-12-11 3:40pm

there are drugs for this!

Listenup 2008-01-28 12:10am

I quit counting when I hit 200 but there were still more to count.

aleacim 2008-01-31 7:08am

Wow people have a lot of colors I have around 20-30 colors... :(

CO_Phantom 2008-02-01 4:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimberly (Post 876504)
ROFL!!! I feel your pain! I have lots of shades of yellow and orange. Do I use yellow and orange? No. But I have a lot of it. I helps me to sleep at night knowing that if I EVER need yellow and orange, I will have it. There is probably a name for this particular illness.

AMEN!!

I have tons of tools, books, videos/DVDs, glass, frit, foils, wire, etc. I've had some of them for 2 years, and have never opened them. BUT, I like knowing that when the temptation strikes to use something, I have it (provided I can find it...that's another illness all around....). I'm very much instant gratification. I get the idea and I want to do it NOW. If I have to order it and then wait for it to get here, and then if I don't hear UPS and they hold it hostage for days....yeah. By then the moment has passed, and sometimes I don't even remember what it was I wanted to try.

I can't count the colors I have at the moment (some glass is 1 1/2 hours away, some in my apartment....) but I'll be willing to bet 160+.

-Amy

Marcy 2008-02-01 7:51am

I collect the coral glass #420. I have more of that stuff and hoard it. I use a little of it sometimes and so sparingly. Don't know what it is about it.

Marcy

CO_Phantom 2008-02-02 4:43am

Marcy, you're not the only one. 8-[

By the time you count odd lots and such...we're talking TONS of colors, really.

How many colors does Effetre make?

-Amy

Donna T. 2008-02-02 11:00am

Apparently I NEED more glass. I only have about 50-60 colors and 2 rods of boro. Most of my colors are 1/4 lb or less.

Hayley 2008-02-19 12:04pm

I won't tell you how many I have but can tell you that just silver glass alone I have 70 different colors including odds!!! YIKES!!!

jaci 2008-02-19 7:20pm

wow I probably only have a stock of 120-140 colors BUT I have a bunch of colors that I have only one or two rods of, they count right...lol

we should do this about frit and twisties too!

jaci 2008-02-19 7:20pm

Omg Hayley!!!! Really!!!! Wow

CO_Phantom 2008-02-20 5:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayley (Post 1668117)
I won't tell you how many I have but can tell you that just silver glass alone I have 70 different colors including odds!!! YIKES!!!

There are THAT MANY silver colors?

Alrighty....I think we're gonna have to make her list them! Odds included!!

After all, we all have our wish lists, right?

-Amy

SassyGlass9 2008-02-20 12:38pm

Glass ho in training??

OK so I have been torching for just over 9 months, and I have almost 100 colors! I think that officially qualifies me for at least having Glass Ho tendencies... :biggrin:

So my question to all you experienced folks is this: other than Effetre (which is mostly what I have, along with a little bit of Lausha), what other 104 COE glasses do you like, and why? Compatibility with Effetre is my preference for obvious reasons! I have tried several types of frits and just ordered some double Helix (can't wait for it to arrive!), but as far as other types of soft glass, what "brands" do you like best? And who makes the best reds, purples, pinks? I love EDP but it IS a bear to work with! And so far I am not totally thrilled with any of the reds or pinks in Moretti (Effetre)...

Any input is greatly appreciated!! After all, I will need to buy more glass soon, so I can continue to earn the right to the "glass ho" name. \\:D/

Hayley 2008-02-20 4:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO_Phantom (Post 1669852)
There are THAT MANY silver colors?

Alrighty....I think we're gonna have to make her list them! Odds included!!

After all, we all have our wish lists, right?

-Amy

I am doing this by memory, so here goes:
Aion, Elektra, Gaia, Kronos 1, Kronos 2, Nyx, Olympia Rain, Psyche, Luna, Terra
Terranova, Khaos, Black Pearl, Botero/Garzoni, Cezanne/Blue Buddha, daVinci I, Hurricane Rumble, Kandinsky, Matisse, Michelangelo/Sasha
Miro/Rembrandt, Monet, Picasso, Rocio/Silver Mist, Sissley, Waterfall, Zeus, Dali/Dalai Lama, daVinci II, Red Clay/Black Cherry/Soft Ruby
Silver Stone, Van Gogh, Black Cherry/Oxblood , Black Nebula

Odds
Translucent Gray, Light Van Gogh, Kronos Odd, Nyx Odd, Aion Odd, R72, C70, C71, C76, H25
T25, T26, H118, H123a, H132BL, K102, K108, K112, A7, A8
A829, A829CR, 902, 910, 910-LST, OLC, LP W/N, B1, B1S, B1+
B1L+, SB, SBL, SB2, SB2.1, SB2/2, SB2/2L, LM Pale, Lo'ihi

I am getting the experimental mystery box from Tag 104 so will have more to play with! ;-)

I think I need professional help!!!

jaci 2008-02-20 6:58pm

don't we all......

maybe there is a prescription...... *frit of the month club soooooo does not count!!!*

kmd 2008-02-20 9:39pm

coming and going

I have been reading with interest the lists of glass that folks have, and the numbers are getting bigger and bigger. I feel very deprived!

Don't want to be a party pooper, or bring on buckets of guilt, but.......just curious.

Has anybody worked out the balance sheet, per month or year or whatever.

Glass IN....Glass OUT?
kmd

Bohemibeads 2008-02-22 12:52am

WOW! Im almost speechless! LOL.

Im in total "awe" of you all! I think at best, I have maybe 20 different colors, if that. After reading everyone's post..... I think I *really* need to go glass shopping. ::grin::

swamper 2008-02-25 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmd (Post 1672181)
I have been reading with interest the lists of glass that folks have, and the numbers are getting bigger and bigger. I feel very deprived!

Don't want to be a party pooper, or bring on buckets of guilt, but.......just curious.

Has anybody worked out the balance sheet, per month or year or whatever.

Glass IN....Glass OUT?
kmd

Sorta - but don't tell my tax guy. ;)

bjcohan 2008-03-12 4:10pm

Hi. My name is Barb and I'm a glass hoarder. (Or is that just a glass ho? ... or both?)

After a long period of not buying glass when I was unemployed for more than a year, I've gone a bit nuts with it since I started working again 13 months ago. Last summer, when I finished rebuilding my studio and finally had enough (yeah, RIGHT) glass storage, I was able to finally see it all in one place. YIKES!

There are colors that I like so much that, over time, I probably bought a little more every time I ordered glass. I do use a lot of those colors, but I really went overboard. However, as the dollar weakens against the euro, and as the cost of glass continues to rise, I now think of it as investing in glass futures. Especially with the odd colors that seem to appreciate in value. If my streaky pink is worth a lot now, what will it bring in a few years when other stashes are gone? Same with amber rose, chardonnay, some of the corals, and the other special colors.

If I have learned nothing else in the years I've been buying glass, it's that the color that tugs at my heartstrings today just might not even be there tomorrow, so I stock up when I can. It doesn't spoil, and I've never regretted investing in glass.

Now I just have to find time to melt it more often!!!

Barb

jellibeens 2008-04-05 10:47pm

I've just started doing up a spreadsheet with a list of all the colors on it, one color per line... I am going to print it and have the pages laminated, and use them to write notes on in my studio - kiln notes, etching notes, reaction notes etc.

I've been without my torch for nearly two years, and today I pulled my glass out of storage and started going through it. Bliss! It made me sad when I realized that many of my favorite colors in this stash were oddlots and/or aren't available reliably :P (Vetrofond's Silk and Medium Ocean translucents, and some really stable, salmony coral from maybe 5 years back. Of course I have less than a quarter lb of each, haha).

I'm shocked that I'll be close to 200 when I've finished entering just the rod colors. My husband will kill me, I'm not even a 'career' lampworker :D

Marcy 2008-04-06 4:25am

jellibeans, if you decide to sell copies of your list, I'd love to buy one. That's a lot of time you put into it and I know I'd love to have a copy.

If you go into business selling them, could you convo me?
thanks,
Marcy

danelady 2008-04-07 4:06am

Here is my Glass storage
http://www.artemislampwork.com/studi...06webglass.jpg

Note the boxes (priority) of glass stored UNDER the tubes. That's because I need to cut MORE tubes to fit the addl colors of ASK, CIM and DH I now have as well LOL
Hugs
Lynnie (who isn't cutting ANYTHING with this cranky arm right now! )

Holly 2008-05-16 4:31pm

Wow Lynnie! I think you have more than our local store! :lol:

There's no way I'm going to go count my colors. :D
I have lots of single rods of colors but I only regularly use about 6 or so.

bluecatbeads 2008-05-17 7:27pm

I feel the evil green eye of jelousy... wow... I only have moretti and about 20 colors... hmmm wish I had more glass but that is okay I will just use what I have then if I can buy more. :)