Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   FREE TUTORIAL - Fire Opals (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169464)

Listenup 2019-12-28 4:46pm

:love:

*Naos* 2019-12-29 7:47am

Happy to see the mileage this one still gets after 9 years. ;)

Kindred Threads 2020-11-29 8:02pm

Thanks

Looking forward to trying your technique. Thanks for sharing

heidelhaus 2020-11-30 1:16pm

Thank you, Amber. Something else to try my hand at. Your beads are gorgeous!

Perlenkult 2021-01-19 9:08am

Great thankyou so much

Kindred Threads 2021-01-28 10:40am

Can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing

magessa 2021-01-30 1:49pm

Great beads! The best! I can’t admire!

Kathrin-T 2021-04-12 6:20am

Great tut, tks for sharing!

beadmama 2021-06-07 5:39am

bumping up this fun tutorial!

ninachristine 2021-06-23 2:51am

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to try this.

Sgrabau 2021-06-28 9:43am

1 Attachment(s)
I just made some of these fire opals again after years. This tutorial will live forever it is so great!
Susan

beadmama 2022-04-29 6:57pm

Bumping a great tutorial

Annieli123 2022-10-29 8:12pm

What did you use as the base color? Was it black? The colors you got are so light and vivid!

Annieli123 2022-10-29 8:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagpieGlass (Post 4598319)
I love this tutorial as well. I've been making little tweaks to get different effects.

Here's a recent set that I did that I love. Think I need to redo it for me only in a scallop shell pattern for the beach.

This looks amazing! Did you do anything that’s different? I don’t see any of the black at all, which I think is nice.

Annieli123 2022-10-29 8:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lea Zinke (Post 3195228)
Did I show this one yet? The fire is incredible -- I think I'll try to take a pic with underlighting too, might be fun to see it with the light coming up from the inside.

Incredible! How did you make sure to get such bright fire?

bastetsbeads 2023-04-05 6:21am

kevingreenbmx 2023-04-05 7:29am

It was really heartwarming reading this thread to see how much joy the sharing of a simple layering technique brought so many folks over the years :-)

bastetsbeads 2023-04-05 12:40pm

echeveria 2023-04-05 2:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bastetsbeads (Post 5154359)

To this day, on other groups, I *STILL* see her credited as having originated this "technique" which is frankly, not true.

I never saw Amber claim it as an original technique or design of hers. She shared this for free. I hate that it gave you a bad feeling, but don't think Amber should be blamed.

bastetsbeads 2023-04-05 4:34pm

delete.

kevingreenbmx 2023-04-06 6:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by echeveria (Post 5154368)
I never saw Amber claim it as an original technique or design of hers. She shared this for free. I hate that it gave you a bad feeling, but don't think Amber should be blamed.

This, exactly. Anyone who figures out how to do something neat has the right to share it, even if someone else does a similar thing. It's a little different if someone pays for a class then shares what they learned publicly for free, but even then if the techniques covered in the class are available elsewhere for free anyway, it's hard to argue anything is protected about it.

SGA 2023-04-06 10:44am

So… http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...154841&page=23 was deleted but… I glanced at the dates.

Amber gave this technique its LE name from what I see. But the technique was being discussed and dabbled with about a month later.

What I see is that Naos didn’t participate in the June 2010 conversation and BastetsBeads did. But I do know historically, many many inventions were simultaneously tinkered with in opposing laboratories. The one whose invention became the most well known was often the one that gathered the most notice or was faster to publicize it as a completed project.

Nobody can accurately say what Naos/Amber was doing in her studio while the conversation occurred. So to accuse her based on perception is unfair.

It’s also fair to note, the way we arrived here is based on a large scale means of sharing information and discovery. The ones who participated in tweaking a technique into existence deserve to be recognized as well. The fact that it was free, is also an important distinction. To me, that was an unspoken communal acknowledgement.

Personally, that small discussion on page 23 is important. But, so many beads popped up at the same time because of communal thought. It is hard to say who was first. Whoever inspired Amber and whoever inspired Amber’s inspiration, and whoever inspired the inspired inspiration…. Ya know? 13 years after the event just feels like sour grapes and a direction to throw anger at because you can’t get angry at what you’re really mad about currently.

My two, spent too much time in therapy, cents.

echeveria 2023-04-06 11:32am

Shardi, I think Amber had been making, showing, and selling them for a bit before this thread too. The fact that she validated and shared the technique would work on a Hot Head has a lot of value. And I don't like the insinuation that it was stolen or otherwise "inspired" by a post on someone's personal web page. Pretty sure there were plenty of people using the ghostiness of silver and the way silver goes gold under clear a long time ago. I have had at least 2 teachers who shall remain nameless that claim they "invented" that.

And then there is the fact that Amber is not here to defend herself now, should she want to. I just think the hurt feelings after all this time over a bead technique seems a bit over the top. Like you, just my half cent of opinion.

Frit Diva 2023-04-11 6:20am

I did a technique very similar to this 25 years ago ~ discovered it accidentally as a newbie.

The behavior of glass is a vast field of possibilities that's open to anybody who wants to explore it.

Many times, creative ideas seem to float around in the cosmos until multiple people stumble upon them at the same time. This can cause bad feelings, of course.

But, in reality, the ideas don't belong to anybody ~ they have a life of their own. I feel so blessed when of them reveals itself to me!