Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Newbie: equipment to start? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21246)

tabriz 2006-05-05 9:13am

Newbie: equipment to start?

Hello,
I'm pre-new to lampworking, haven't even started! I fuse now, and would like to include lampworking with my fused pieces. Can I use the Hot Head on Bullseye 90 COE fusing glass? Is the beginner kit from Arrow Springs a good way to start? Or is there a better kit?

Eventually my goal is to make larger than bead size pieces with lampworking. Is there another torch that I should be looking at?

Thanks
Lee

lynn's lampwork 2006-05-05 10:22am

Hi Lee!

I'm a semi-newbie also (I started in November) and I started on a Hot Head that my DH purchased for me from Sundanceglass.com. HH's are a nice way to begin, but a lot of us use them only as them as a beginners tool, but there are quite a lot of lampworkers out there who use nothing else and don't plan to use anything else. A HH is the cheapest way (using nothing but the Mapp gas canisters) to see if this is something that you would like to take on more seriously...

First of all, no, a HH is not hot enough for Boro. Second, if I knew back in November what I know now, I would have bought a kit that included everything I needed and a oxy/propane torch. Granted, it's a lot more expense way to begin (you need the more expensive torch, hoses, regulators,propane tank, either an oxygen tank or oxygen conentrator, etc etc...but if you start with a bigger torch, you have everything you need to gradually improve and move up and beyond the limitations of a HH. (The HH references are only MY opionion-some people are very protective of their HH's, and that's great!).

In a nutshell, buy the HH if you just want to check it out....great way to begin....if you want to do Boro right away, buy a bigger torch....either way, it's LOADS of fun and extremely addicting!!!! Oh, and take a class or two to start, it helps!

And one more thing....use this website A LOT for EVERY kind of question!! They are WONDERFUL here, to say the least! Kind, considerate, extremely helpful with even the simplest questions and above all else, they are very patient with all us new beaders!!!!!

Good luck!
Lynn :waving:

kbinkster 2006-05-05 10:43am

Lee,

I started lampworking on a Hot Head using strips of Bullseye instead of rods. The thing to keep in mind is that some Bullseye colors are sensitive to reduction and the Hot Head tends to be reducing. There is a sweet spot in the flame where it is more of a neutral flame, but you have to play around to find it.

I think starting off with a Hot Head for your application is a good idea. Once you start going bigger, you will want to get a larger torch. But, your money will not have been wasted on the Hot Head if you get one now to begin.

lynn's lampwork 2006-05-05 4:21pm

I didn't know you could do Boro with a HH! I am sorry, Lee, for giving you wrong information....Very interesting....Here I was acting all smart! :lol:

I learned something today! Thanks kbinkster!!!! (as always)!!!
Lynn

kbinkster 2006-05-05 5:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn's lampwork
I didn't know you could do Boro with a HH! I am sorry, Lee, for giving you wrong information....Very interesting....Here I was acting all smart! :lol:

I learned something today! Thanks kbinkster!!!! (as always)!!!
Lynn

Lynn,

You are kinda' right. You really cannot work boro with a HotHead. But, Bullseye is not boro. Borosilicate glass is COE 33. Bullseye is a soft glass with a COE of 90. :)

I think that it was nice of you to try and help, though!

Kimberly

Janetlee 2006-05-05 5:45pm

Hi Lee,
I'm new too. I have been getting most of my things from Arrowsprings. They are very helpful in answering my questions. I have a HH to work on Satake glass, which I order from Jo at www.dogmawglass.com . Jo is very helpful to answer my questions too.I highly recommend her website.
I also order a mini cc torch kit with Bullseye assortment from Arrowsprings.I have recently order my kiln from them too.
I'm sure the others sites are great too, I have just used the ones I mention above and am very pleased with there customer service and fast service.
Hope this helps.
Janet

Emily 2006-05-06 7:07pm

I did a demo last night at a place that doesn't allow the lampworkers to use anything except Bullseye. Their torching area is right next to the area where the fusers work, and where the fusing classes are taught, and they want to keep everything compatible. One of the people from the studio told me that the fusers will pick up any little bit of glass that's lying around and stick it into a project. She showed me a big fused piece (about to be fused, actually) where someone had scavenged a cracked bead from the torch area and used it for the eye of a fish.

Bullseye is stiffer than Effetre and shockier. You'll want to be careful to introduce the glass to the flame slowly so it doesn't shock and send little bits flying around the room.

tabriz 2006-05-08 6:38am

Thank you, everyone! I've ordered my HH and am now impatiently waiting for it to arrive so I can start playing!

Anyone know of any classes in Albuquerque, NM?

Lee

kbinkster 2006-05-08 7:31am

You might check to see if Crystal Myths (Lewis Wilson) offers classes or knows who does. Oh, and Lewis' wife is a fuser, too.

cherylsart 2006-05-08 7:31am

Hey Lee, you and I are in the same boat! I just ordered my kit as well. I got the HH too in a kit from Monique at JoDel. I also ordered a DVD called Torch Time which is all about working on a Hot Head. I bought an extra HH for a friend so we can learn together. I think it will be more fun that way. I'll post here and let you know how I'm doing and I hope you'll do that same!

Cheryl

tabriz 2006-05-09 7:02am

Thanks everyone. I met Lewis Wilson yesterday and bought his DVD. He was very generous, showing me around his studio and gave me a ton of information.

And Cheryl, have you watched the Torch Time DVD, yet? Would you recomend it? That does sound interesting.

Lee

cherylsart 2006-05-09 8:33am

Hi Lee, I just ordered it so it hasn't arrived yet but as soon as I get it I'll let you know how it is.

How awesome that you got to meet Lewis Wilson! Which DVD did you get? I've seen one of his videos and it was very educational.

Cheryl

tabriz 2006-05-10 7:26am

Hi, I got his beginner bead DVD. I think it really helps me to actually see the technique as opposed to just reading about it. I got my HH yesterday and made my first lop sided beads LOL! I'm so proud!!

Lee