Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Torch Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Suitable for lampworking?? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304120)

Handyann 2018-01-05 9:26am

Suitable for lampworking??

Hi all,

I've inherited a Carlisle Universal torch in excellent, virtually unused, condition. I wondered if any of you knowledgeable folks could please tell me if it's any good for lampwork? It came in a case full of silver working stuff, so I'm not sure.

I'm a beginner lampie (Lampist?? Lamper??) with a Hot Head (in more ways than one! :eek:), but am moving soon to a studio with natural gas, so am seriously considering upgrading to a gas/oxy suitable torch.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks
Ann

notrhydon 2018-01-05 9:50am

It looks a lot like the smaller National hand torches. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work if you found some way to mount it. Carlisle already makes a bench mount for it.
http://carlislemachine.com/webcatalo...hand_torch.pdf

Enjoy the upgrade! I just moved off a hothead recently and have been blown away by the difference in how long a project takes. I can do twice as much in the same time-frame.

I also wholeheartedly support the adoption of the term Lampist.

Handyann 2018-01-05 10:15am

Thanks for your input Ryan,

I wondered if the flame from the Universal was a big enough diameter to be effective, seeing as the HH has a throat like the Channel Tunnel. The Universal tip is only 10mm across.

It's odd that there isn't yet an accepted term for the people indulging in this hobby. Flameworker is a bit of a mouthful really, but is the nearest I've come across.

notrhydon 2018-01-05 11:50am

I've got no experience in pre-mix torches, but you should be able to get a suitable tip on there. It won't be huge, but it will be hotter and more dynamic than a hothead.

Handyann 2018-01-05 12:56pm

Can't wait! Thanks a lot.

Speedslug 2018-01-05 3:09pm

I have always thought of myself as a 'lampworker'.

LarryC 2018-01-05 3:41pm

Wale apparatus sells them with lots of different replacement tips.

Lorraine Chandler 2018-01-05 9:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedslug (Post 4970207)
I have always thought of myself as a 'lampworker'.

Yes, me too. Always will.:fireblob:

Handyann 2018-01-06 4:21am

Interesting to see what generic name folks adopt.

Thank you for the info, LarryC, although I'm in the UK so will have to source a supplier here, given the astronomical shipping charges these days.

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone using a Carlisle Universal too.

PattyK 2018-01-06 7:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyann (Post 4970156)
It's odd that there isn't yet an accepted term for the people indulging in this hobby. Flameworker is a bit of a mouthful really, but is the nearest I've come across.

I've been making beads for over 10 years now and have only ever heard this art form referred to as lampworking or very occasionally, flameworking. :wave:

Handyann 2018-01-08 4:58am

I stand informed!! :-D

kansassky 2018-01-08 8:02am

Hmmmm. After years of explaining I don’t make lamps, I describe myself as a “flameworker.”

Eileen 2018-01-08 8:41am

I think I would call the company and get their input.
And yep, I call myself a lampworker too ;)

Handyann 2018-01-08 11:20am

Great idea Eileen, thank you I will.

twinsis58 2018-01-12 6:34pm

I am mew to the mega minor ( just received it today). Can i use my propylene i have on hand with this torch? I just had my tank refilled and would really like ro use it up first

Frit Diva 2018-01-12 10:53pm

Glass artist is my preferred description, and flamework artist is second. I really dislike the term lampworker ~ I don’t work at a lamp, and I don’t make lamps either.

Beadazoid 2018-01-18 2:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frit Diva (Post 4971416)
Glass artist is my preferred description, and flamework artist is second. I really dislike the term lampworker ~ I don’t work at a lamp, and I don’t make lamps either.

Like Jo, I like Glass artist best but because of all the confusion I sometimes say I do lampwork and then usually explain. I also sometimes say I'm a Glass Bead Artist or a Glass Worker. I figure I'll have to explain anyway. I believe the term lampwork comes from way back when they DID work over a lamp flame. Correct me if I'm wrong here.