Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Where to study long term furnace? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231157)

Ofilia 2012-09-06 6:11am

Where to study long term furnace?

Ciao tutti! Okay, I get asked all the time about places to study in Italy, but to be honest, as far as furnace study, I believe that here in the US or even other countries, there may be more varied possiblities to long term furnace study.

The inquiries I get are for not the small short workshop arrangements, but long term, say semester type or even at least monthly term places to study.

Anyone have suggestions of such schools to study serious furnace?

SaraSally 2012-09-06 6:26am

Hi Ofilia, I think there is more opportunity for furnace work than flameworking, which bugs me. But I know that Emporia State University in Kansas has a program. The Toledo Museum of Art has a blowing facility, Corning as well as Pilchuck, etc.

Ofilia 2012-09-06 7:36pm

Hi Sara Sally, thanks for the input!

deb c 2012-09-08 8:32am

Hi Ofilia,
Been a long time since we've seen each other...hope some time to get you up to Glass Stock East! Sure had fun frying fish with you and Mari!

I know my incredibly talented gaffer friend Sue blows at Elements in Portland. She loves it there, they are super nice, helpful and even though she rents furnace time they are glad to show her things and help her. They never tell her she "isn't good enough to try something" and she has really come into her own with huge platters and unique pieces. She can't make them fast enough and is in numerous galleries that sell out almost as fast as she brings it in!

Where you learn, who you learn from and the vibe at the venue can make or break an artist! I know they have classes as well as many of the artists there like Sue apprentice people too, it is always a warm and inviting atmosphere when I've visited.

deb ;)

msjjjj 2012-09-08 11:51am

Ofilia - the Appalachian Center for Craft which is part of Tennessee Technological University has an excellent furnace glass program.

Marjorie

Kalera 2012-09-08 2:14pm

Pilchuck is supposed to be really good: http://www.pilchuck.com/

Mike H 2012-09-11 8:20am

I was just up in Portland with my Wife and we visited Elements. Nice big shop and really Cool people. We walked in as they were starting a really large piece which I assisted on as soon as they found out I am a glassblower...it was fun. Again, Super nice people!

There has been a lot of programs shutting down due to the economy and a lot of others not far behind. A quick google search will show whats left.

Ofilia 2012-09-11 7:48pm

Great input, everyone!!! I think it's great for people to add to this list, as some of us know friends who want to get into furance, or have friends who have had a good experience at furance studios. Sometimes furance can be a great collaboration for us lampworkers as well.

It's good to know places you recommend. I'm learning and always curious.

Thanks again:biggrin:!

beadsoncypress 2012-09-12 3:37am

intern at Wheaton Village or study at Salem College in NJ

AlivELampworK 2012-09-14 4:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by beadsoncypress (Post 4109439)
intern at Wheaton Village or study at Salem College in NJ

second that! or penland, pilchuck, appalachia center for craft. my first pick would be penland, obviously. :grin:

Libby L. 2012-09-14 6:15am

If you are in or near St. Louis Third Degree offers all kinds of classes!

Zenith 2012-09-14 7:08am

Pittsburgh Glass Center

LisaSt.Martin 2012-09-25 6:37pm

Our hot shop holds classes. We also have classes in mosaics, fusing, stained glass and of course flameworking

Plus hundreds of non glass classes

Get info at:

Lortonarts.org

The Workhouse at Lorton
Lorton. Va

Lisa

HannahRachel 2012-10-01 8:21am

Ohio State University has a degree program. :)

Jody Lee 2012-10-01 1:43pm

VCU has a program too, and thanks Lisa, for posting about the Workhouse Arts Center. The Workhouse will be offering classes through Northern Virginia Community College in glass as well.

jzbloom 2012-10-01 2:35pm

Sonoran Glass School in Tucson offers semester/long term study

dmmcnair 2012-10-01 3:05pm

I believe the University of Texas in Arlington also has a course.