Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   ventilation (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265024)

Austin L 2014-05-12 9:09pm

ventilation

im setting up my own at home studio, ill be putting it in my garage just under a window. my bench is pretty big 8ftx4ft....
my question is where can i get a suitable hood, and fans... am i going to have to build the hood myself.... any help would be great

Hammer 2014-05-13 3:45am

ABR sells a fan/hood package for around 300.00. I just built my own from parts from eBay.

Mary K 2014-05-13 6:24am

You want to look in the safety section of this forum, also in the studio threads for ideas. I had mine made at a local HVAC place. It was the best option, and the least expensive. This is what I did.

the ducts at the back are for replacement air.
the hood is connected to a 900cfm fan situated in a housing on the back of the shed.

dragonart glass 2014-05-13 8:44am

I don't know where you are, but I thought equipment was cheaper in the hydroponics stores than art stores. And it was easier to check out in person. They are plentiful in my area though.
Mary's set up looks awesome!!

Nighthawk 2014-05-13 11:43am

Just go to the wood stove area and all the parts,even the fan should be right there. And a lot cheaper! Anyone notice that if it has to do with art that it cost more? :)

Mary K 2014-05-14 5:55am

I got my squirrel cage fan from Granger. I'm pretty sure that a woodstove place would not have a fan with the capability you would need. You need a pretty powerful fan. If you look on the safety forum pages you can find the way to figure it. I don't remember the formula, been many years now since I did my set up, but ask Dale if you need any help, he is very helpful and knowledgeable. And if you are looking for a cheap hobby, take up femo or something, glasswork is not cheap, not if you do it right.

dlando1 2014-05-14 10:13am

Mary, I thought you said you couldn't fume because of your ventilation. Your system looks like it could suck the hair right off your head. Well, my head anyway. It comes off pretty easy these days.
dave

Mary K 2014-05-15 2:16pm

Ha ha Dave. I just worry about fuming, not sure if anyone has enough ventilation for that, guess I'm a paranoid. I also have asthma. I'm careful about loading any further damage to my pretty beat up body. If....I get old I would like to be able to breathe. I understand that is how you get really old, breathing I mean. I am 61 years old and my "best by" date was a long time ago. It will likely be the Kool Aide that gets me in the end though.

dlando1 2014-05-15 3:09pm

Judging by the glass you make I would say your "best by" date is going strong. I do understand about fuming w/ asthma; why risk it. Keep making beautiful glass and breathing deeply!
Dave

e. mort 2014-05-22 11:42am

If you plan to work big, get the squirrel cage fan. I bought the fan/hood combo from glasscraft years ago, and I have issues with the fan shutting off because of overheating when I do multiple 3" spheres on a warm day.