Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Vetrofond Glass (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236505)

gemsinbloom 2012-12-13 12:31pm

Vetrofond Glass

Hey there, I have heard different stories concerning vetrofond. That they will be no more and the reasons why. What is the real scoop? I would like to know before falling in love with some of the colors. Mike? Anyone?

thanks

tilegoddess 2012-12-13 1:11pm

My understanding is the Vetrofond's parent company is closing opperations as it is/was the least profitable of their 5 companies owned. Vetrofond will no longer be making glass. I'm not sure as of when, or if they have already stopped production... Maybe Mike Frantz can chime in if anymore stock is due in or if he's simply able to sell "quantity on hand". Many of us that have fallen in love with Vetrofond colors have been stocking up when we can get it on sale and there is still stock available.

KJohn 2012-12-13 2:18pm

Vetrofond is a large supplier of different types of glass products, ....can't quite recall what...blinds or lamp covers or something. They added the lampworking section on and started to make glass rods. There was some connection with Effetre, they are just across from Murano and there might have been some sort of family link. It was said some of the recipes were similar, perhaps why they were mostly compatible.

Someone had said they had trouble with one of their furnaces for lampworking cane, it was mentioned on a glass blog. They haven't got it back up. Otherwise, for some other reason they are no longer making lampworking rods but will still make glass. Frantz has been hinting that production will resume in another factory that will have use of some of the same recipes. I hope this is the case as Frantz's supply definitely seems to be dwindling. I have been wanting to buy more. It's not so much that I think there are colors I can't live without, but that the competition was healthy for the market. I wonder how it will affect the pricing for the rest. Will they continue to woo our affections with more colors and odd lots?

gemsinbloom 2012-12-13 2:21pm

too late, I just fell in love with candy apply today

sigh

silverlilly1 2012-12-13 3:56pm

This is the story I was told by a local-ish glass supplier. It goes way back, and fits with everything you have all mentioned you heard. It contains the stuff of legend.

*dim the lights, play some calming beach noises*

Years ago, Mr. Moretti, the family patriarch, worked with his daughter in the Moretti factory. When he died/retired, she kept going where he left off, continuing in her passion. She also had two brothers. One of them left town and supported her claim to make glass in the family tradition. Her other brother saw a money-maker and wanted a piece. He took her to court for the family recipe book and equipment.

The court awarded him the family recipe book and some of the equipment. The daughter kept the original factory and more of the equipment, but lost the recipe book, save the ones in her head and notes. They both started to make glass, but the brother was again upset by the thought of his sister continuing to make glass in the family name, and took her to court again. This time, the courts ruled in neither's favour, and both had to start selling glass under new names. The brother became Vetrofond, and the sister became Effetre.

Now the machine that Vetrofond was using broke down, and not having the passion for lamp working glass like his sister, the brother decided to just close up shop on that part of his business.

gemsinbloom 2012-12-13 4:23pm

Wow that is quite the story!

Hmmmmmmm how sad family members turned on each other ( if the story is true)

PiP 2012-12-13 4:34pm

Well then he can give the frickin' recipe book back!

BeadedChic 2012-12-13 5:10pm

I fell in love with vetrofond and used that glass almost exclusively in my bead work...mostly because it was less expensive, not to mention how nice the glass worked for me.

I, too, love candy apple, and have slowly been building my stash 1/4 pound at a time! Lol

ginko 2012-12-13 5:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiP (Post 4186864)
Well then he can give the frickin' recipe book back!

Yes. Although, clearly she is more talented and no longer needs the recipe book. While I like a lot of Vetrofond, it is known for inconsistency, or rather odd-lots. Sad for this to happen.

songe 2012-12-13 5:19pm

Grace at The Glass Shoppe Studio in Ottawa told me the same story. It it isn't true it certainly is circulating!

houptdavid 2012-12-13 5:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverlilly1 (Post 4186841)
It contains the stuff of legend.

And is mostly that according to Mike...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=26

silverlilly1 2012-12-13 5:52pm

I don't understand.

houptdavid 2012-12-13 6:28pm

The Moretti owner and the Vetrofond owner have/had the same last name but are not related

tammydownunder 2012-12-13 6:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gemsinbloom (Post 4186771)
too late, I just fell in love with candy apply today

sigh

This has been my go to red for a long long time. When everyone was gushing about CIM Sangre, I kept my mouth shut and continued with the Candy Apple Red at a fraction of the cost. Then I heard that Vetrofond was going out of business and every time I ordered glass, I got a few pounds of CAR. Our local supplier had it on sale and I bought 5 lbs of it. I love CAR so much, I think I could marry it.

Kalorlo 2012-12-14 7:06am

Wasn't candy apple red an oddlot anyway? It was sold as one over here. So all of it may have been from the same batch anyway and would run out eventually.

2tumblingdragonz 2012-12-14 3:20pm

I heard/read somewhere that someone bought the Vetrofond recipes and is going to be making glass with those recipes, of course who knows if they'll be the same and I can't remember where I read this, I think in Europe.

namaste
Rowyn

gemsinbloom 2012-12-14 3:47pm

Well candy apple sure is a strange glass. I got way different results before annealing compared to after annealing. Both yummy but I prefer the before results better. I got some really cool colors in the orange family. No idea why...

Lyssa 2012-12-14 4:04pm

Ok, why am I just now hearing about Vetrofond stopping production? My favorite Vetrofond color is Pajama Blue and now I can only get 1/4 pound at a time from Frantz?! So sad!

BarbaraD 2013-01-03 7:21am

Sincerely hope that Vetrofond will continue. Shipping to Mauritius is expensive and being able to buy less expensive glass balances out the more expensive in each shipment. Does anyone have any update on this story?

Elizabeth Beads 2013-01-03 8:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gemsinbloom (Post 4187730)
Well candy apple sure is a strange glass. I got way different results before annealing compared to after annealing. Both yummy but I prefer the before results better. I got some really cool colors in the orange family. No idea why...

Candy apple and Orange Punch are close in rod color and some batches were mislabeled.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...andy+apple+red

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=34

I have a bunch of both that I'd sell for what I paid for it. I stocked up on Messy Macaw and Tandoori and don't need the Vetrofond any more.

Pm if interested....

Lyssa 2013-01-03 12:24pm

Elizabeth - I like the new picture in your sig. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads (Post 4203145)
Candy apple and Orange Punch are close in rod color and some batches were mislabeled.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...andy+apple+red

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=34

I have a bunch of both that I'd sell for what I paid for it. I stocked up on Messy Macaw and Tandoori and don't need the Vetrofond any more.

Pm if interested....

Dreamsincolor 2013-01-03 8:36pm

Elizabeth, how much of the Orange Punch and Candy Apple did you want to get rid of and what were you asking for it? Shipping would be?

Thanks

Andrea

Elizabeth Beads 2013-01-03 9:10pm

Thanks Aimee. Andrea I will weigh it and pm you a price.

Denielle 2013-01-03 10:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginko (Post 4186901)
While I like a lot of Vetrofond, it is known for inconsistency, or rather odd-lots.

Well, this answers the question I came here for. I just bought a pound of white & I'm very disappointed to find out that little lines of gray dots appear as it cools.

Elizabeth Beads 2013-01-03 10:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denielle (Post 4203965)
Well, this answers the question I came here for. I just bought a pound of white & I'm very disappointed to find out that little lines of gray dots appear as it cools.

All the more recent batches of Vetrofond whites are gray or blue or have other issues. I used mine up as bases for nicer colors. Now I'm using up my Vetrofond clear the same way. After that, I'll work my way through translucent yellow....

Kevan 2013-01-04 2:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyssa (Post 4187751)
Ok, why am I just now hearing about Vetrofond stopping production? My favorite Vetrofond color is Pajama Blue and now I can only get 1/4 pound at a time from Frantz?! So sad!

I love that blue too.

Denielle 2013-01-04 8:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads (Post 4203969)
All the more recent batches of Vetrofond whites are gray or blue or have other issues. I used mine up as bases for nicer colors. Now I'm using up my Vetrofond clear the same way. After that, I'll work my way through translucent yellow....

Yep, I made a bunch of frit beads. That covered it up pretty well.

Nolly 2013-01-08 8:26am

I think that glass comes and goes just like yarn, or a particular brand of white dress shirt that your husband loves, or anything else.

Though it's no doubt a drag, the challenge to find new ways of making your go-to beads is also stimulating. I found that competition and outrageous prices kind of made me go cold on the odd lots, even though I will probably regret the loss of light ivory forever.

Now, cue up "Circle of Life," and I'll go make those beads I've been putting off for an hour.

Nolly

KJohn 2013-01-08 11:21am

Philosophical is a good approach. I don't even use all the glass I have.

Although I haven't minded the V. white, they say it has a bluish/aqua cast but I can't see it at all. No lines on mine, that would stink.

-----------
Kristin ~

demcc2 2013-01-08 1:48pm

For those who may want to know...I have 3 5/8 of Candy Apple and more than 1/2 lb (i haven't weighed it) of the orange punch.

Duane