Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Eff. dark periwinkle vs. CIM french blue? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240041)

Jammy 2013-02-12 10:30am

Eff. dark periwinkle vs. CIM french blue?

Is there much of a difference between the two? I've never tried dark periwinkle but I love the french blue. But I understand it's no longer being made ( :( )and I want a replacement for when it is no longer available.

jeepinwelch 2013-02-14 3:27pm

I used the French Blue for making murrini and it turned translucent in that application. If you aren't working it screaming hot and pulling it thin you might not have the problems I did. If you do make murrini don't use it. Ever. What a waste of a few hours of precious torch time!

Kevan 2013-02-14 3:48pm

I like the French Blue, too.

Jammy 2013-02-14 5:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinwelch (Post 4241719)
I used the French Blue for making murrini and it turned translucent in that application. If you aren't working it screaming hot and pulling it thin you might not have the problems I did. If you do make murrini don't use it. Ever. What a waste of a few hours of precious torch time!

I've never tried French blue in murrini. Thanks for the tip.

Ravenesque 2013-02-15 1:36am

CIM Ming is the 'replacement' for French Blue. Cornflower was closer if I remember right, but I do not see that on the site?? Ming is an opal (opalino), I wish they didn't stop French Blue as it was not an opal.

Here is Ming
http://creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=50

And I've never tried Dark Periwinkle but I do not think they would be close at all.

Dragonfly Queen 2013-02-15 10:06am

What! NO more French blue. Ding dang it! I like that color and I like that it wasn't an opalino. Grrr!

jeepinwelch 2013-02-15 10:15am

Light Lapis seems to be a very close match.

Jammy 2013-02-15 12:35pm

I was wondering about light lapis. CIM ming looks alot like french blue in the paddle photo.
But the fact it's an opalino turned me off buying it. Flamedame.com has CIM cornflower, but it looks quite a bit darker than french blue.

jeepinwelch 2013-02-15 2:55pm

I just went and compared, cornflower is a shade darker than the french blue. The cornflower and ming that I have look exactly the same.

Lyssa 2013-02-19 3:20pm

French Blue is my all-time favorite color, and I told Kathy from CIM that last year at the Gathering Bead Bazaar. She said that if I REALLY wanted more after I finished what I had, she might do a small batch of it. Maybe if we get enough people together who want more French Blue she could supply us all with it? :)

Elizabeth Beads 2013-02-19 5:27pm

My French Blue and Dark Periwinkle are identical. As in, you can make a pair of beads and they will match.

Lyssa 2013-02-20 9:34am

Weird, maybe I've never seen Dark Periwinkle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads (Post 4246516)
My French Blue and Dark Periwinkle are identical. As in, you can make a pair of beads and they will match.

rosemarie23 2013-02-20 2:41pm

I love French Blue and had no idea Dark Periwinkle was similar. I think Light Lapis is close, but not quite the same.

I bought some glass a few years ago that was supposed to be Dark Periwinkle, but I can't tell it apart from Periwinkle. I was pretty sure it was mislabeled at the time and this adds to my suspicions!

Jammy 2013-02-22 1:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyssa (Post 4246358)
French Blue is my all-time favorite color, and I told Kathy from CIM that last year at the Gathering Bead Bazaar. She said that if I REALLY wanted more after I finished what I had, she might do a small batch of it. Maybe if we get enough people together who want more French Blue she could supply us all with it? :)

I'm in Lyssa :)

Jammy 2013-02-22 1:52pm

I've never bought either light lapis or dark periwinkle, but I have dark lapis and I was thinking if it was a few shades lighter, it could be a suitable substitute for the french blue.

Jammy 2013-02-22 1:53pm

Speaking of lapis, CIM's opaque lapis is TDF. But I can't find it anywhere!

echeveria 2013-02-22 6:25pm

Flamedame shows lapis on her website. I hoard that stuff. I never want to be out. It seems like a lot of regular cim colors are out of stock, and a lot of ltd runs are getting released instead.

Elizabeth Beads 2013-02-23 4:19pm

1 Attachment(s)
French Blue and Dark Periwinkle. Can you tell which is which?

Lyssa 2013-02-23 4:39pm

Liz, awesome! Thank you for the examples! :) (Oddly, Tapatalk won't let me quote your post.)

Jammy 2013-02-23 5:34pm

Thanks Elizabeth for the photos! No, I cannot tell the difference. I'm happy!
But let me guess, the french blue is the pair on the bottom? There seems to be a difference in reaction from the dots.

Elizabeth Beads 2013-02-23 5:54pm

I can't tell you which is which. But I used different colors for the dots. Too bad because size-wise they match up better with one of each of the base colors. ;)

Jammy 2013-02-23 6:52pm

Is that terra over ivory for the dots on the bottom pair? The color combos are beautiful!