Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   tips for electric mandrel spinner (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245140)

Heather Behrendt 2013-05-11 6:39am

tips for electric mandrel spinner

So, I just got an electric mandrel spinner used and I'm having some trouble figuring out how to use it. The videos made it look very easy, but I feel like I'm missing some information here.

How do you get the mandrel secure in the sleeve? I can fit the mandrel in the sleeve, but it still is loose if I try to do any "power marvering."

What's the best way to hold the tool? I'm still learning how to hold it. Looks like it should be held like an oversized pen. Do you just let it rest on your hand and balance and control the speed with your finger and thumb?

When working without the EMS, I always spin the mandrel very slowly to balance the bead. With the EMS am I supposed to be learning how to use a fast spin? Or just practicing slowing it down while I'm doing the initial bead shape?

Is there a prefered way to remove the sleeves so they don't get bent? I can't seem to remove the largest sleeves, but I don't want to mess them up trying to change them out.

Thanks for any advice :)

Angie09 2013-05-11 7:41am

To get the sleeve secure, use a pair of small pliers and crimp the top of the sleeve just a little ... until it's tight enough for the sleeve to not slip. I use a diamond file on my mandrels to scuff them up a little so they will grip the sleeve better. Scott has a video on this.

Holding it is whatever is comfortable for you. I just let it rest between my thumb and first finger and use my 1st and 2nd fingers to control the speed with the "brake". When adding glass, slow isn't the way to go ... just use the regular speed and melt a glob of glass then apply to the mandrel.

I remove the sleeves by hand with a rubber glove on. If you can hang in with all the "weirdness" that it feels like, you'll be rewarded with the best tool in lampworking. IMHO.

Check out all his videos ... they really help!!! Here's his YouTube video link ... take the time to watch them all and you'll pick up little tidbits along the way. https://www.youtube.com/user/bearfootart

He also has a CD for sale that is well worth the money! Have fun!!

mtnglass 2013-05-11 8:46am

In all the years I have had an EMS I have bent only one sleeve and that was because I dropped it and didn't see it before I ran over it with my chair. I think they are pretty tough.

Be patient. The EMS is going to spin faster than any attempts at doing it manually. When you practice I would recommend using a 3/32 mandrel and just do plain beads using glass that is not too soupy. Make sure the mandrels are dead straight. If they wobble it will add to your aggravation.

Everything I make is made on and EMS. It can be done. It has been a great time saver for me.

Heather Behrendt 2013-05-11 9:24am

Thank you both for the suggestions.

I've only played with it maybe an hour, but it was a very discouraging hour. I figure I'll give it at least a month of trying before giving it up.

I've only tried the 1/16 mandrels so far. I'll try the larger size with some transparent stiff glass.

I'll try scuffing up the mandrel too. I bought the tool used and it looks like it's already been tightened on one side of the 1/16 tube. I'm only finding the slipping with the power marvering or when the glass is cooling off and the mandrel gets caught on the glass.

Keep the tips coming cause I think I'll need all the help I can get.

mtnglass 2013-05-11 10:31am

I crimp the bottom end of my 1/16. It leaves just enough mandrel (if they're 12") showing to get 8 spaces on. The other sleeves I tend to crimp slightly at the top.

Jane P 2013-05-11 10:52am

Julie - I am in awe of your discs - do you make those on the spinner too?
I find mine spins just too fast for me - mine is battery, so I have taken to saving old flashlight batteries that don't have enough power for the light, and that helps slow it down some.

mtnglass 2013-05-11 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jane P (Post 4314580)
Julie - I am in awe of your discs - do you make those on the spinner too?
I find mine spins just too fast for me - mine is battery, so I have taken to saving old flashlight batteries that don't have enough power for the light, and that helps slow it down some.

Thanks! Everything I make is with the EMS. I do take the mandrel out of the spinner when I do drops or if I am decorating a large focal. Mine is battery although I don't remember when I changed it last. It's been quite awhile.

dla 2013-05-11 2:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jane P (Post 4314580)

If you watch the video on how to control the speed, Scott shows you how to slow it down even more putting pressure on the chuck with your fingers. You can put enough pressure on it to stop it if you need to.

mtnglass 2013-05-11 8:41pm

I forgot to mention that most of the beadrollers are EMS friendly.

Angie09 2013-05-12 6:08am

What she ^^^^^^^^^ said! I own just about all of them!

bbisker 2013-05-12 12:41pm

Also if you have issues just call Scott He is very helpful and provides great customer service.

beachbeads 2013-08-31 3:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnglass (Post 4314604)
Thanks! Everything I make is with the EMS. I do take the mandrel out of the spinner when I do drops or if I am decorating a large focal. Mine is battery although I don't remember when I changed it last. It's been quite awhile.

Where did you buy it?

marla0416 2013-08-31 3:41am

I too just got an EMS while at the Gathering in NY. I thought it was just me that felt it spun too fast. I'll be checking out the resources mentioned. Thanks for this post. Very helpful to me.