Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What's your favorite COE 104 SILVER GLASS? I got a b-day coming! (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136582)

Olimpia 2009-08-05 12:26pm

What's your favorite COE 104 SILVER GLASS? I got a b-day coming!

DH has been insisting I tell him what I want for my birthday which is coming up soon. So I might as well admit that the only thing I want this birthday is GLASS!!! SILVER GLASS!!! I don't have much of it so I need some, soon!!

I thought I'd start a poll and see what people like best, this oughta be fun!

I only included COE 104 silver glass, since that's all I use.

GlassyEyedGirl 2009-08-05 12:32pm

Um, can I have a choice for "All of the Above" please? lol

Olimpia 2009-08-05 12:34pm

LOL Beth, nope, I can't tell DH I want a pound of everything... but wait! maybe I could... :-D

tracidawn78 2009-08-05 12:36pm

No brainer - DH.

But you threw me a curve ball with Striking Color :( I think they would be a VERRRY close second if the colors came out more often.

Helen T 2009-08-05 12:55pm

I would ask for 1 pound of Ekho, followed by 1 pound of Aurae, then maybe a pound of Psyche, and if it is available, some Aether.....that would do it for now...

Happy Birthday!!!

Olimpia 2009-08-05 1:02pm

::scribble::scribble::check::check::

Noted! Thanks Helen!! :-D

Firebrand Beads 2009-08-05 1:28pm

Hard to go wrong with any of them, lol, though I admit I am partial to TAG! :-\"
Happy Birthday!!

~Jenny

Troll Lover 2009-08-05 1:40pm

That is so hard to decide! But for now I'll have to say SC, because of the unique reactions this glass can get. For more regular, I think it's hard to decide between TAG and DH.

Birdsonawire 2009-08-05 1:41pm

I'm with Helen! Love Love Love DH... all of it... lots of it... more of it! My hubby is taking me to the Glass Bash at Frantz's this month for my Bday.. I am not sure he knows what he's in for though.... dont worry honey, just bring your VISA!

Elizabeth Beads 2009-08-05 2:04pm

Don't overlook Precision 104, I like Picasso, Rembrandt/Miro and Michaelangelo/Sasha's Silver. Double Helix Olympia Rain, Aion, Triton and Terranova 2 are awesome. I think it is more about the individual glass than any one glassmaker. :)

gallerygal 2009-08-05 2:44pm

I voted DH because they have the majority of my absolute favorites - Aion 2, Nyx, Psyche, Triton and Luna2.

StrikingColor would have my vote if Brad's glass was readily available, only ever managed to get 1 pound of it - but I love that 1 pound:biggrin:

What a wonderful DH!

Have fun with whatever glass you get :biggrin:

Marianne.

LoriB 2009-08-05 3:09pm

I voted for DH as well, not only because so many of their colors are my favorites and easiest to use, but because I know Jed makes such an effort to use the safest ingredients possible in all his glass!

mtarara 2009-08-05 5:27pm

DH Triton is my fave with Aurae coming in a close second. Haven't tried the new DH I bought at the Gathering yet, so things may change soon~!
Mary T.

theglasszone 2009-08-05 6:54pm

I've got a thing for Precision 104 Black Pearl...I did this on a Hot Head even:

I admit, though, I love just about all the "Reduction" Silver Glasses!!! I've not be lucky enough to try some of the latest colors - yet!

Have fun with whatever you choose - and early Happy Birthday!

De

piedradesigns 2009-08-05 7:50pm

I find DH Psyche to be the most versatile silver glass.

StephBonniwell 2009-08-06 2:31am

Happy birthday early, Olimpia, and I hope you enjoy playing with your new silver glass!

truegem 2009-08-06 2:47am

Happy Birthday! I hope you get what you wish for....GLASS!!!

tasminann 2009-08-06 6:44am

DH is my overall favorite, followed very closely by TAG. I haven't been lucky enough to ever get any SC. Precision I haven't had a lot of luck with, except for Chagall (or whatever it's called these days).

TeresaRB 2009-08-06 7:00am

My goodness...I'm so glad you asked this question. I was thinking of posting it myself just a couple days ago. Now I don't have to! and...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you...glass is the best gift a gal could get! LOL :-\"

debezog 2009-08-06 7:10am

What a great Birthday present. I almost voted for Striking Glass but I really don't have enough of it to know if I will continue to love it.

j2canoe 2009-08-06 10:26am

Happy Birthday!!! My absolute favorite silver is Black Nebula ( I think it's by GT) followed closely by TAG Deep Purple and DH Psyche. I have to do the reducing glasses as I cannot seem to get anything to strike on my HH very well - but it reduces just fine. As a matter of fact, I have quite a bit of Dali Lama; Tibet and a rod or so of Striking Black Cherry and a couple of others that I would dearly love to trade for some reducers to someone who could use them! Oh, also have Zeus too which refuses to produce any thunder/lightning for me....:(

Olimpia 2009-08-06 11:23am

Thank you guys! For the "happy birthday" wishes and all the great tips! It's great to see your all time favorites within a maker too!

Maybe I'll start sometime soon another poll with specific colors from each maker. :-)

Then I'll make my shopping list!!! (uh oh, too many exclamation points?) :lol:

SunDoorBeads 2009-08-06 11:38am

I chose TAG- I love the glass even the striking colors and I even got Dalai Lama to work for me on the first try- that has never happened with a striking color before (except Striking Color Glass which was my next choice!!!) Hope this helps!!!

SunDoorBeads 2009-08-06 12:18pm

Okay then my fav from TAG is definitely Dalai Lama for the striking colors and Deep Purple for the reducing!!!!!

Laurie L 2009-08-06 2:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen T (Post 2608684)
I would ask for 1 pound of Ekho, followed by 1 pound of Aurae, then maybe a pound of Psyche, and if it is available, some Aether.....that would do it for now...

Happy Birthday!!!

I second this. Love these colors :)

crystalflipz 2009-08-06 6:22pm

I've been lucky enough to spend some real quality time with StrikingColor and it is my absolute favorite glass. Sasha's Silver from Precision is my second choice.

Birdy 2009-08-06 6:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen T (Post 2608684)

Happy Birthday!!!

Gotta agree with Helen's "shopping list" - Ekho, Aurae, and Psyche are three of the most versatile and easy to use silver glasses on the market. All three are capable of an amazing range of colors and different appearances - from pure metallic bling to gorgeous MOP shimmer. And of course, with the perfect colored glass, you need the perfect clear!

Glass from the other makers are also wonderful, and it really is hard to pick a single "winner" from that list glass magicians. Jed at Double Helix has just done such an incredible job of producing one fantastic glass after another, with, IMHO, the most consistent batches of any "fancy glass" on the market. Anything that he produces which is noticeably different from his standard of perfection for that particular glass is put out as either an Odd, or as a "new variation" - like the newest release of TerraNova2 being labeled as 2.1 because it is slightly different. I LOVE knowing that the Psyche I bought last week will be pretty much identical to the Psyche that I bought last year. It is comforting to know that I won't have to "re-learn" a fav glass every time I buy a new batch.

Wishing you much Birthday glassiness!
Birdy

Cricket, propane, and 5lpm oxycon
RedMax, propane, and 10lpm oxycon

Fine Folly Glassworks 2009-08-07 9:34am

*HOTHEAD* Torch Question

Hi,

I'm new here, and I'm a new bead maker with about 3 months experience.

#-o Can I use a Hothead Torch with a silvering glass and get a nice result?

Is there any procedure to follow?

Ekkie 2009-08-08 8:51pm

I couldn't choose between DH & TAG - they are both sublime.

Jenn

lunamoonshadow 2009-08-09 2:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks (Post 2611473)
Hi,

I'm new here, and I'm a new bead maker with about 3 months experience.

#-o Can I use a Hothead Torch with a silvering glass and get a nice result?

Is there any procedure to follow?

You'll have best results with a reduction glass--look through De's posts (theglasszone) she's on a hothead!

I'm partial to davinci 2 for a mixed torch (mini cc, cricket) or for either torch (hothead even!) TAG's taxco does nice things for me but it does have a weird learning curve (but, i love it even "plain" 'cause I love teal blue transparent!)
Nikki had nice results with Gaia on her hothead (and it reduces nicely also).
of course, many of us love any of the terra-odds that double helix puts out (I've loved any of the shorts I've been gifted ;)...I always sigh when they put them up & I can't afford them....but lovely people have sent me single rods, & one sweet person let me buy a "complete sampler" of singles a while back...and I did get some "nubs with tags" which were awesome for making dots--I can stretch those bits forever!)