Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Every have one of those Ahhh eFF... moments? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261786)

LadyGlass108 2014-03-09 2:10pm

Every have one of those Ahhh eFF... moments?

While working on a project idea today, I dropped a large pendy straight into my lap. I was not wearing something suitable to the task at hand -- some crappy thick fuzzy-polyester-sweat pants that, ahhhh, MELT! But I was really paying attention so my reaction time was superb (if I don't say so myself, lol). I don't think I've moved that fast in a long, long time while simultaneously letting out an "Oh Fu#!" And, no human flesh was sacrificed -- I got LUCKY!! and now need to go buy some lottery tickets!

Nighthawk 2014-03-09 2:25pm

Oh wow! You scared me just reading that, I was waiting to read about the burn. I'm so glad that turned out good for you in the end.

Three Muses Glass 2014-03-09 2:27pm

Oh yes. That's why I'll never ever again wear fleece while at the torch. Glad you're OK!

Celestial B 2014-03-10 10:21am

Yikes! I work standing and wearing no synthetics. Learned that the hard way skating in polyester disco pants back in the 70's. Took a skid fall and melted fifty cent piece sized patches of polyester to my knees. Open flame and synthetics....no thank you. Glad you managed the event unscathed. :)

LadyGlass108 2014-03-10 3:21pm

I did get very, very lucky and re-learned an important lesson -- never again! I can't imagine the pain and discomfort of trying to heal a burn wound at the juncture between my leg and my unmentionables - Yeooooowwwwwweeeee!

BellaBean 2014-03-10 6:34pm

I'm not sure what is worse, melting pants or pants on fire. I've set fire to 3 pairs of jeans when marbles have popped off of their punties.

Rose 2014-03-11 3:43pm

Last summer it was hot and I wore very short cotton shorts while torching. I was making a marble and the punty snapped. That sucker landed at the very top of my inner thigh, enough said. A very bad burn and I felt very stupid when the doctor asked me if I was wearing shorts. It's hard to heal a burn in that um area when it's also during a heat wave. My leather apron no longer hangs there as a decoration. Learn from me, Harbor Freight sells those aprons cheap compared to the alternative.

one hot beader 2014-03-11 4:15pm

THIS!

This is why I have a leather apron and WEAR IT!

I also shorten the neck strap to bring it up higher. No more decolletage burns for me.

jeepinwelch 2014-03-11 6:05pm

Holy shit Christy! I am glad you were able to move so fast. I 3rd the leather aprons from Harbor Freight. I am actually thinking about buying a bunch to provide students when I teach the murrini class.

BeadBlossoms 2014-03-12 6:31am

I have nice little scar on my chest - off to get a leather apron as well :)

istandalone24/7 2014-03-12 7:25am

i did on monday. this past saturday i spent almost 4 hours on a marble...the biggest i've made to date at 2.1"
well monday i pulled it out of the case to show someone at work, and i dropped it on the concrete floor :(
now there's a huge fleabite right smack dab in the center of the lens. i can fix it, but having to warm up a marble that big in the kiln is a risky proposition.

mightymike 2014-03-12 2:04pm

have done that yet. knock on wood.

but did have the ahhh.... moment a few months ago. I wasn't really thinking about it but when i grew out my beard it grew out to about 4 inch long and then stopped growing. 6-8 months it still 4 inch and it dawns on me its from the heat of rolling a vac stack or condensing a big tube 8 inch's in front of me. the radiant heat was burning or melting my beard back.

guess i don't need a beard.

LadyGlass108 2014-03-13 11:31am

Thanks everyone for sharing like experiences... I appreciate knowing that I am not alone. I really do need to look into one of those leather aprons soon! And, Mike... I've watched a few youtube vids of lampworking guys with longer beards -- it always scares me to watch because it looks like they get soooooo close!