Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Safety (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Propane Tank In Garage Fire Video... (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317211)

Speedslug 2021-07-07 12:43pm

Propane Tank In Garage Fire Video...

2021 July house fire in Plainfield Michigan had a 100 pound propane tank in the garage. The tank would have been one of the 3 or 4 foot tall ones about twice as tall as a "bar-b-que tank".

Video shows the explosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_soWPp4M7I

I'm sure they thought that the tank in the garage was perfectly safe.

Passing paper delivery person spotted the fire and woke them at 4 am.
They got out of the house 5 minutes before the tank blew.

dragonart glass 2021-07-13 1:31pm

Wow! That is amazing!
Thanks for posting that Phill

KJohn 2021-07-14 6:19pm

OMG. I'm so happy everyone is safe!

gorelova62 2021-11-12 9:22pm

Yes, propane is dangerous. Where is your propane tank? If outside the home, how do you open it?

Speedslug 2021-11-13 10:50pm

I will admit that I bring my 20 pound tank into the enclosed porch when I get around to torching glass. ( It's been some 3 or 4 years since the last time.)

And then I set it out side on the deck in the open air when I am done for the day.

Other wise I keep it in my detached garage some 25 feet from the house.

If ever get a place with an attached garage I'll likely place it on a cinder block outside on the ground and put a plastic trash can upside down over it for storage.

If I decide to plumb the hose outside from the tank then I will get dressed enough to go out and turn it on both at the tank and where I pass the piping through the wall when ever I start torching and then go back out and turn it off at both locations when I'm done.

Insurance companies have been known to deny hail damage to roof shingles if they can prove that a bar-b-que tank was stored inside the house because that would violate the "terms of insurance" and void the contract even though the hail damage has nothing to do with the tank of propane.

suechrist55@gmail.com 2022-06-23 11:36am

Pissed off. Can’t take it anymore..

Hi there,
I’ve been trying to get two 5lpm oxy consentrators to work.They just won’t work with my set up. They are newly reconditioned. I would sell them for what I bought them for. Plus shipping. I live in Dallas. They can be picked up here or, if you are close, I will drive them to you

I must not be doing it right.I’m ready to go with tanked oxygeni have a few questions:
1:how dangerous talked oxygen?
2.can I put in a car and drive it about ninety minutes from my actual residence
How do I safely store it when I’m not there? We have extreme heat in the summer. The rest is pretty mild with a few really cold days.
3. What are the conditions that would cause the cylinder to explode
I would sell these two Imogene concentrators I had them for 7 months but haven’t done any more than about three 30 minutes sessions.
The are each 5 lpm (two identical)
Sue Christian

rcktscientist 2022-06-28 1:05pm

It appears those concentrators are not sufficient for lampwork. You need a minimum of 10LPM from a stationary concentrator to run even the 'lightest' torches. The outlet PSI makes a difference too.
Tanked oxy is a good choice for many but has its own issues. You can find compressed gas safety info online so do some searching. It will cover tank storage safety, usage safety, and other general info about flashback arrestors and such.
Sounds like you need to do more research before your next purchase...

bshelle 2022-08-16 7:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by suechrist55@gmail.com (Post 5134953)
Hi there,
I’ve been trying to get two 5lpm oxy consentrators to work.They just won’t work with my set up. They are newly reconditioned. I would sell them for what I bought them for. Plus shipping. I live in Dallas. They can be picked up here or, if you are close, I will drive them to you

I must not be doing it right.I’m ready to go with tanked oxygeni have a few questions:
1:how dangerous talked oxygen?
2.can I put in a car and drive it about ninety minutes from my actual residence
How do I safely store it when I’m not there? We have extreme heat in the summer. The rest is pretty mild with a few really cold days.
3. What are the conditions that would cause the cylinder to explode
I would sell these two Imogene concentrators I had them for 7 months but haven’t done any more than about three 30 minutes sessions.
The are each 5 lpm (two identical)
Sue Christian

What kind of torch do you have? I used a 5lpm machine to run a Minor successfully.

speedingpullet 2022-08-17 9:11am

Me too. I ran a Mega Minor, a Cricket - and then a Lynx on a 5 lpm oxycon.

Sue in Maine 2022-08-26 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcktscientist (Post 5135361)
It appears those concentrators are not sufficient for lampwork. You need a minimum of 10LPM from a stationary concentrator to run even the 'lightest' torches. The outlet PSI makes a difference too.
Tanked oxy is a good choice for many but has its own issues. You can find compressed gas safety info online so do some searching. It will cover tank storage safety, usage safety, and other general info about flashback arrestors and such.
Sounds like you need to do more research before your next purchase...

I use 2 oxycons with a cricket and can work boro. Working 104, I use my mini cc.

Sue

rcktscientist 2022-08-29 7:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue in Maine (Post 5139535)
I use 2 oxycons with a cricket and can work boro. Working 104, I use my mini cc.

Sue

Are they similar to the Inogen concentrators she mentions above? You know, the portable ones?....

KJohn 2022-08-29 10:24pm

I use one oxycon for my alpha, soft glass. but it's an M20. I started with an M-15, but I wanted to go faster. LOL

Many small modern torches for glass work will work fine with an oxycon if you are doing soft glass. For boro you would definitely want to yoke two. Or use one for the centerfire and a tank.

They are not "portable" but are larger units that are on wheels.

nnantel 2022-09-12 2:09pm

The issue with the 2x 5LPM units might be that they need to be turned down.

I use an EX-20 (10LPM) with a Scorpion torch (~4PSI propane) and it's been ok but not great. The EX-20 needs to be turned down to about 50% max flow rate and opened just a bit at the torch, otherwise the flame hisses and is too wild. Turning down the oxy does limit the size of the flame but I am able to use both inner & outer flames and can melt boro all day. Sometimes when using only the inner flame it helps to keep a bit of oxygen on the outer ring.

I think the O2 purity on this EX-20 was never that good and I may also be due to filter change, hopefully not a sieve bed change. This also causes a dirty torch which only exacerbates the problem.

BTW, I keep my 20lb BBQ propane tank in an insulated attached garage to avoid the 110F heat in Las Vegas! There is a bit of ventilation.