View Single Post
Old 2009-01-29, 6:18pm
namaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_gardener View Post
Have just ordered - looks like exactly what I need to be able to take useable bead pix. I just can't get the macro things to be clear. I posted fused work today because that's the only thing I (or DH) can take decent pix of. Thanks!
Beverly
Macro can be tricky if you don't have a true macro lens. Many manufacturers claim a lens or camera to be 'macro' capable when it actually isn't.

If you want to test a camera in-store, put it in macro mode (usually a little 'tulip' on the dial) and see how close you can get to something and stay in focus. You should be able to get within a few inches if the camera has true macro. I tried a Fuji finepix and a Sony that could both focus within an inch.

Also, look for a camera that offers you aperture priority mode. This allows you to choose the aperture size (the lens opening) while the camera chooses the exposure and shutter speed. With a small aperture you will have everything in focus from near to far--called 'depth of field' in photo-jargon. A shallow depth of field when shooting macro is quite common and needs to be considered. Bottom line: small aperture+macro lens=great closeups.

If you are on a budget (and who isn't nowadays!) you can take a regular camera and use either purchased macro 'extenders', or a regular magnifying glass! The magnifying glass tricks works in a pinch...but I wouldn't want to submit such pictures to say, a magazine or contest.

Finally, one more way to get tight shots is to stand way back with a good zoom. To do this, the lens has to be high quality. I shoot my video of Kevan making beads using an Cannon HV30 high definition camera and zoom from across the room over her shoulder. The lens on the HV30 is awesome in good light. Then, if you want a still, you just capture it during editing.

I hope some of that helps!

Antonio

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Antoņio; 2009-01-29 at 6:26pm.