View Single Post
Old 2010-06-30, 12:34pm
PyronamixK

Hi Mary,

I did a lot of testing on the Regalia and the Scorpion, so I hope that qualifies me to post on your thread.

First off, do not run the outerfire without the innerfire on, ever. That is bad for the torch. Very bad.

When you look at the tips of the candles you're running, are they rounded off (the yellow/white part) or do they have little points to them? If there are little points to them, cut back your propane (with the valve of your torch) a little bit.

How far away from the face of the torch are you working? I know that with boro, people do tend to work closer than with soft glass, but how close, typically, is the piece you are working on from the face of the torch? It could be possible that you are heating the face of the torch with some splashback and that could be causing the carboning.

PS And just so you know, the Lynx (like all triple mix torches) doesn't usually have the same issues with splashback that standard mix torches have (unless you run it like a standard mix without the blue valve on), so it is possible that you could be working the same exact way on the Scorpion as you used to on your Lynx but have the problem now that you never had before.

If you think it could be splashback, then try working a little further out and see if that helps.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2010-06-30 at 12:38pm.