View Single Post
Old 2010-07-06, 10:37am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Ok ~ today I got to torch for about 5 hours. I cleaned the torch before starting.
I set my regalia back to 10, and the propane was running at 5. I got out a metal ruler,
I made damn sure I stayed at least 4 to 5 in, mostly 5inches from the torch face.
I made a turtle, they are quite large, and take me hour approx to make. Quess what?
Drum roll please.............................no embers. The only time I did get some is when
I would forget, get involved, and get close to the face of the torch. I would say,
it is splashback. But why, oh why, can I get only one inch away from the inner flame,
when it is the only one lit and not get the embers?
Yay! I'm glad that the mystery has been solved.

The reason(s) that you can get close to the face and not get embers on the inner fire when it is the only one lit is:

(1) Usually, when you have the outerfire on, your piece is bigger than when you only have the innerfire on. There is less heat radiating from your piece to the face plate of the torch when it is small and you are working it with the innerfire. When your piece is large enough to be working the outerfire, it is large enough to through a lot more radiant heat back onto the face of the torch. Also, the bigger the piece is, the more area it has to allow heat to splash back onto the torch face.

(2) When you turn on the outerfire, it can stave the centerfire a little bit of oxygen. If you don't bump up that centerfire oxygen just a tad, the centerfire will overheat. Hot metal grabs carbon out of the fuel and if you have a lot of unburned carbon in your fuel (which is what happens when you are starved for oxygen), there's more opportunity for the hot metal to grab something.

Quote:
Kimberly ~ tell me honestly, to the best of your knowledge, would I have more
freedom with this torch, to get alittle closer when it is fully lit, if I bought another
regalia? I really do make enough money with my glass biz to get another one,
and I am thinking I might if it would run the torch better. I could wait untill you
put them on special around "Gathering" time, ( if you do that again) so what do you
think, would 2 be better than one? or no difference.
And thanks for the suggestions, you are always helpfull and I really do appreciate you!
As for running a second Regalia, it would definitely give your Scorpion more power. It would allow you to bump up that centerfire oxygen without sacrificing the candles you have now on the outerfire. Actually, you would be able to run both fires quite a bit larger.

I think that since your problem is mostly showing up on the centerfire, I would first suggest trying to bump up the oxygen on the centerfire when the outerfire is running. You might have to cut back on your outerfire candles a little in order to do that, but not by much. See if that is something you can work with first. If that flame isn't hot enough for you, then add a second Regalia.

If you were having carbon build up across the entire torch face, I would question whether a second Regalia would be much help in terms of allowing you to work as close as you're talking about without testing it myself. But then, if you want to work closer to the ends of the candles and not just closer to the torch face, you would consider that the ends of long candles are further from the torch face than the ends of short candles. Also, having more oxygen available would allow you to run more aggressive candles with more thrust, so that would help drive off some splashback.

A holding tank is a great idea if you work mostly the innerfire and use the outerfire for bursts of big heat. If you run the outerfire a lot, then a holding tank alone won't do you much good because the tank will empty out and you would be left running straight off the concentrator. It doesn't hurt to try a holding tank, though, and the Regalia is well suited for use with one.