View Single Post
Old 2006-03-10, 12:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam
Hi Oxydoc, I just have a few questions and comments. Do you have any certifications such as UL, CSA or CE on your modified units to indicate that the modifications being done to these units are safe? Are you or anyone in your company certified by Respironics to make the modifications on these units that produce higher pressures? I'm not trying to get on your case, but some of these units are being used in homes and even homes with small children and if you are modifying them to up the lpm's is there a chance of meltdown?

You mentioned that the "purity is good" on the M10 at 5 lpm and the purity on the M20 is good up to around 8 lpm. Can you tell me what you are defining as "good"?

A friend of mine has modified her own concentrator by puttin in a larger compressor and that has up'ed the volumn her concentrator puts out, but you are saying you are only rebuilding the compressor already in the Respironics unit, so if a larger compressor is not producing the additional lpm's, what is?

My concern in all of this is the lampworking community. The fact is that many people come out with inventions that help us do our art better and easier and cheaper and you may well fall into this category, however you are selling what is actually an appliance that could well be running in someone's home and I really want to express some concern. Up to this point in time, all oxygen producing units were not modified, but used as from the manufacturer, so I hope you can understand that people may not be used to thinking of the difference it makes by modifying a unit that has been designed to be used in a certain way.
Hi Pam, thank you for your questions. We completely understand your concerns. My brother Paul and I do have certifications with many manufacturers. Most are medical related. We do have about 15 years of experience doing this service. The modifications that we perform are only related to enhancing what the unit was manufactured to do. All safety features such as thermal switches in the compressor, filters,valves and such are not removed or in any way tampered with. It is my personal opinion that an oxygen concentrator is considerably safer than an O2 tank which is pressurized to more than 2000 psi. Imagine a child knocking over that tank. In all cases when using oxygen and propane together in the same room with a flame-------the warnings go without saying!!!! There is no chance of a "meltdown". As far as the purity goes, when I said good, I meant and should have said high 80s and low 90s. I hope I have covered your questions. If not please yell at me again. jack