View Single Post
Old 2018-09-07, 6:11pm

Update time:

So today I began the process of hanging the hardie board. It started raining as I got home from work and upon entering the garage came to find a new problem, WATER!

Here is the problem:

The water is only around the mortar seam and that one second of cinder block and nowhere else. I checked the back of the garage which is exterior brick to see if water was streaming down the side of the garage, nope. There is no water from the roof to the spot so it has to be from inside the wall.

My garage has a walk out above it and you can enter it from the second floor stairs. I walked out onto the garage and I believe I found the culprit.

The tar on the top of the flashing around the corner of the roof has started to eat through the tar and holes are all over the place (even if they are small).

I am going to put a pause on work for tonight and reset tomorrow.

Tomorrow I am going to sweep the roof off and clean it. Get a hose and confirm that flashing around asphalt roof is the reason for the leak.

If that is confirmed I am going to take the flashing off all around the roof and clean it thoroughly, put the flashing back, and use roof cement on the tops of the flashing to the brick around the roof. This should fix it.

I'll have to wait till Sunday now to put the boards up as I want to confirm obviously that this fixes the problem after retesting on Sunday with a hose.

Hopefully the leak is fixed afterwards and I can then continue to mount the cement boards to the back wall.

I also plan to install the blower motor on the hood this weekend