View Single Post
Old 2008-12-11, 9:10am
Mary Lockwood

I actually agree with you, Pam. I don't buy tutorials to get a pattern for a bead...I buy them to learn techniques I can use for my own stuff. But not everyone does that, and I am realistic enough to know it. I have no interest in making sure nobody is selling beads just like mine, so I'm certainly not going to put a warning on my tutorial that I have no intention of backing-up.

I do not however, think there is anything wrong with someone else doing it. I totally understand it and as long as the buyer knows what they are getting in advance, I see no problem whatsoever.

In response to the 'What's the point of selling a tutorial?' question:

The point is teaching people how to work glass to get it to do certain things. You have to teach a project to get the lesson across. The project or design itself isn't the point of the class...the techniques used to make the project are the point. The project is the reward at the end. Your prize for doing the work. It isn't the goal. The goal is better glass skills and a few new tricks up your sleeve.

Like I said, I put out tutorials that I was willing to let go because I didn't want to ask to limit people.

If I want to teach dots, but don't want to give away my best ideas...then I teach dots on a less important bead. If you put the whole design out there, people are going to want to use it.

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.