View Single Post
Old 2016-06-17, 5:45am

I am a manager for a glass studio in Frederick, MD and it's my job to teach classes and find outside instructors to come to the studio. I do use social media but I also go to glass events (AGI, GAS, The Gathering) to find instructors and to promote the studio. I also send information to local bead and art groups. There are a couple Facebook groups which allow promotion of studios - join those! I have thought about using Groupon but haven't gotten there yet. Put a postcard or flyer together about the studio and pass it around at local festivals or street events. Think about offering classes that aren't glass primarily but go with glass - electroforming, sandblasting, coldworking, jewelry, etc. This will draw people in and when they see the flame they will want to experience actually sitting down behind a torch. Have a Holiday bazaar and advertise in local newspapers - I got quite a few new students from that event. Don't be afraid to use local instructors - I have a ton of lampworking resources in my area who are not a well known name but I feel you can learn from anyone. This will save you on instructor fees and you can offer the class at a more affordable rate. I hope I have given you some ideas. It's a constant job but if you love it like I do, you will be willing to work at it. Stay in touch and let me know how it goes.

Last edited by fourpawsglass; 2016-06-17 at 6:05am.