View Single Post
Old 2013-11-04, 7:25am
Pyromaniac

I don't know how the Lynx compares with the Bobcat as I've not tried that one but I've worked on a lot of various torches (GTT and otherwise) and I feel that the triple-mix flame offers some unique advantages. The flame characteristics are markedly different from non triple-mix torches. The heat is more penetrating than the softer flames you may be used to with a minor burner and other torches, and it can speed certain processes up immensely as a result. Nice, smooth, melted-in marbles and pendants are so much nicer than lumpy misshapen masses of glass.

If you will be working primarily solid forms such as marbles and pendants, sculptures etc, my advice to any fledgling boro worker is to get a triple-mix torch such as a Lynx. If you have 2 8 LPM oxygen concentrators, that's close to ideal, however 2 5 LPM will work as well. Your flame will be more reducing than if you were on tanked, even if you set what appears to be an oxidizing flame, but you should be fine otherwise.

I've recently been building stock for a show, and I worked quite a bit on my Lynx (on ONE 5 LPM concentrator because the compressor died on the other) and it served me pretty well for smaller pieces. I switched over to the 'cuda (on tanked) for some larger pieces (dragon-eye pendants etc) and I missed the 'penetration', even with the much better overall heat available on tanked. My hands got a little cooked at times from radiant heat - something that doesn't seem to be as much of an issue on a triple mix unless you're working a rather large piece. Maybe it's subjective but...yeah. I like the Lynx better for solid - the jury's still out on hollow, but that's not really my forte at the moment anyway.

That being said, you can easily work borosilicate glass on a minor with a little patience provided you have enough oxygen (2 5 LPM concentrators). It's a very under-rated little torch. I've successfully made marbles, pendants and sculptures, even ornaments from tubing on a minor burner...and a cricket, for that matter. You'll want to work perhaps a bit smaller (3/4" to 1" marbles are probably the upper limit unless you're very patient), but it will do the job! Then you can save up for a more expensive torch..

And that's my other piece of advice: Always get MORE torch than you think you will need. Trust me you will find a use for the extra heat Worst case scenario, you can sell the torch for most of what you paid for it if it's too much for you. (At least here in the US you can).

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy