View Single Post
Old 2013-10-20, 8:48pm

Arrow **LOREN STUMP** SOLD OUT - November 20-24 - in Chicagoland at The Gathering Place

The Gathering Place Studio

Join Master Glass Artisan
Loren Stump

SOLD OUT! - Waiting List Only
November 20-24, 2013
Wednesday - Sunday

Murrini, Sculptural Techniques & Encasement
aka “Loren I Plus”*

$995 plus $115 materials fee (includes all lunches)

8 South 318 Oxford Lane
Naperville, Illinois 60540

Hosted by Portia and Lee Mandel
(portiasold@hotmail.com)

See more of Loren’s incredible work on his website:
www.stumpchuck.com

Experience lampwork instruction and hands-on studio time
Limited seating. Reserve your place today!

To Register or obtain more information, reply to:
thegatheringplacestudio@gmail.com or call Mary Kay Stout (310) 569-9145

If you would like to refer a friend to this class, please email us at the email address listed above.

**Loren welcomes those who have previously taken “Loren I” to this workshop and will instruct a limited number of Shaded Faces students as well.

Loren I Plus
Class Description

Learn from one of the most talented living glass artisans and walk away with a new understanding of heat control and mastery of the torch. This is a class that you can repeat and come away with something new every time. (For those who have taken Loren I previously, we will be making a Shaded Faces Murrini.)

This course will be divided into three parts: Murrini, Sculptural Techniques, and Encasement of a paperweight.

Murrini will result in a Franchini-style face (shaded face for those who have already taken Loren I) and multitudes of various other techniques. You will start with color mixing and blending for eyes, nose and mouth cane, which will be built in the flame and then pulled down to a smaller size for component parts to construct the final face. Various other techniques will also be explored which may include letter canes to create signature canes, blowing of sea shells and many other requested secrets of the master.

Glass Sculptural Techniques will examine several different methods for achieving human body and animal sculptural forms. The techniques include cold assembly, hot sculpture, detail overlay, temperature control, tool use, drilling holes with hot tungsten pick, and the correct application of murrini.

Encasement will produce a small floral paperweight. Floral setup techniques include using blended colors, ribbed cane and overlays as components for creating leaf stock, stems, buds, ball flowers, petals, and stamen. You will then assemble and arrange the floral components into a "setup" with a quick lesson in frit making to use as a background. Students will vacuum encase a sculptural or floral setup in Schott crystal on the final day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.