View Single Post
Old 2018-09-16, 6:48pm

Update Time:

So this weekend I finished the basis of the hood design.

Final design:

Here is a shot of the underbelly:

I burned some newspaper under it with it on and it did put the smoke outside. I found that if the newspaper was directly on the table that it "kind of" sucked it up but some did leave the hood area. If the newspaper was held up around 2 feet away from the top of the hood (so 1 foot below the hood) the suction picked up and the flame would actually bend toward the hole.

If I angle my torch upwards to around the tip of the flame being 2 feet away from the hole I believe that will help. In addition to this I believe 2 things need to occur to improve the suction as is.

1) limit the amount of space inside of the hood to move air directly to the hole

2) possibly add curve sheet metal to the sides of the hood that hang down to the table so "add suction"

Ideas are welcome. I believe having the motor near the hood itself was going to provide the maximum suction that would be possible. I am by no means an "hvac guy" so I'm not sure that even mounting the square portion of the motor to the exhaust window and running the ducting to the hood would improve cfm? Again, I'm not sure. I do know, however, in both designs the proposed solutions I put up would add to the overall CFM so I will try and figure out a way to implement them.