View Single Post
Old 2013-03-07, 5:08pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Default The Glass Hive Logo Design Contest!

Deadlines, release and what your competing for:
  • The scratch sketch submissions will be due by March 31st. We will then give a time period for refining a final product after that. If we are tied between designs we will have a vote after the refining period.
  • Submit as many ideas as you like. I will respond to each submission with feedback so you can improve your submission as you’d like.
  • You do not need to be Rembrandt. We are able to have a design redrawn or modified if needed to create the final production version of our logo. What we need are clear sketches of your ideas that are enough to impart the idea to us.
  • Submissions become property of The Glass Hive and can be altered to refine for use as The Glass Hives logo, by The Glass Hive or its agents. By submitting a design you agree that it can be used publicly for our promotional use.
  • Glass Hive may have you send in your finished drawing or artwork in physical form
  • The designer of the logo we choose will receive a Short Guy Kiln with Punti Door, including shipping, or equal credit towards another model ($655 value). Kiln will be built in 3-4 week from announcement date of the winning artist. The build time will be quoted if you choose a custom kiln once you submit your size.
  • Submissions can be in image format or Photoshop layers ( I am on an ooold version)

Submit to: Orders@theglasshive.com if you'd like it privately viewed for consideration or you can post it to our The Glass Hive FB page by tagging us in the photo. I think the conversation on the images could benefit the creative juices but if you are worried about giving your idea away, private is just fine. We will post private submissions that are in the running for the final label at the end of the scratch sketch period.

What we do (in case you are not familiar):
  • We build small glass kilns all the way up to full glass blowing studios. Kilns, furnaces, glory holes, benches ect. We are glass artists ourselves when we have the time.
  • Quality and customer service are our hallmarks. We are a three person operation, all members of the family covering two generations so far.
  • Our equipment has an industrial feel to it, yet still a clean look.
  • We are located in coastal Oregon set on the Alsea rivers bank. We can’t get away much, so we chose a place we love to be.
  • Check out the web page http://theglasshive.com/index.html to see the equipment line, as well as the custom builds on our The Glass Hive FB page.

Some Basic Design Elements We Need:
  • We are looking to support the logo in an oval label. The concept should work on both small and large scales (2” overall up to a small banner size). I am able to adjust size in house. The most common use will be on the equipment itself where the label will be about 3" x 2". We want to avoid an irregular label shape at least for now.
  • Should you use the initials instead of the name TGH or GH are acceptable
  • We want the artwork to be black and white for the most versatile printing options. If your design can be done in both black & white and color while retaining a strong recognition factor between each other that is fine to.
  • We want this logo to speak softly enough for the conservative soft glass workers and be strong enough for the more outgoing hard glass workers. Sorry for the stereotype but you get the idea.
Good elements to incorporate (none are musts use your imagination if ours was spot on we’d have a logo already):
  • Honey comb cells with depth
  • Honey drips
  • An edgy font that is still easy to read ( I like the Iron Maiden font if the G is more defined from the C but am still wide open to others)
  • Diamond plate pattern
  • Muscle bound bee with a blow pipe would be cool
  • Glass of some kind

Things I know we want to avoid:
  • Cutsie. We are industrial builders. Cute bees are a no, cute hive, no.
  • Designs that don’t reduce to 2” and are still legible
  • I don't want to be confused for bee keepers
  • No pipes in the logo. We are not anti-pipe by far, but need to appeal to a wide audience that could be very conservative on the subject.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau