View Single Post
Old 2015-05-21, 5:10am

There are certainly lots of variables to consider.

Turns out that in practice oxy consumption is more a function of what you make and how efficient you are at making it vs. the efficiency of the torch. To me all of the small torches (lynx, minor, mega minor, alpha, national etc.) are roughly the same in terms of oxy consumption making similar things. There are major differences between them from other points of view - like that the lynx can make a laser sharp flame where a mega minor can't, or that the the national is premix vs. surface mix and that will change the way you work with colors.

Generally, small items like pendants small marbles etc. can be made on anything. Larger torches are needed for larger hollow or solid work.

As you become more practiced you work faster and hotter, so then speed offsets oxy consumption.

Thick hollow glass, especially items that have complex color prep and so just take heat and time. By the time you have the skills to make those types of pieces you should have a market for your work that pays for it.

Up front the big money goes into your studio setup (ventilation, kiln, tools, torch) and then glass - most of which ends up in the water annealer. Only later is oxy the significant cost driver.

Bottom line - get the torch you can afford and start melting, you can always trade up or out. A national 3B gets you melting for almost nothing - it's hot and you can add other tips later - start with a 3 or 5 and earplugs (they're loud vs. surface mix). Once you know you're in it for the long haul it becomes your hand torch and you'll likely have a 2 stage torch for your bench torch.

Of the torches you listed I would choose a Bravo - It's the torch I use most.