View Single Post
Old 2021-06-20, 8:43am
Salt Box Beads

Default Time to bump for the newbies out there

It has been awhile so I want to bump this thread. Newbies can do a beginner set up on the cheap and still be safe. You can make a mailbox kiln, you can even make a torch! There are posts here on LE for those.

Glass is more affordable now with Devardiglass.com as an entry level supply company ( one of my favorites) with teaching video clips and everything you could need. Also be sure to visit the homemade DIY threads here on LE.
Lots of money saving tips there. LE is has a mega ton of info. You can and should spend hours here if you are seriously considering Lampworking.

The torch, Kiln and fresh air systems are still the main costs. Glass and tools next and then for me the BIG $ item was a Tuff Shed Studio. About $5000 completed.

But you can refurb an old horse trailer, rv, school bus or van, an old shed or green house etc.

I started in the garage with a large fan and fiber blankets making small beads. It worked for about a month, then I went to a horse trailer and then finally my shed. Sounds quick and easy but it took years!

All that being said it can be very expensive, can be extremely dangerous and you must always put your health and safety first.