View Single Post
Old 2017-02-28, 1:26am
Phill

Be sure the water you add is distilled or reverse osmosis filtered.

If the water where you live is full of hard minerals I have heard that it helps but if your water is "softened" the salt used to do that will ruin your bead release forever and you will then need to throw it out.

If your house has a water softener it will ruin it.

Also I have found that since I don't torch very often my bead release tends to dry out on my shelf. I tried turning the jar upside down so the lid stays wet and the wetness provides a better seal and it doesn't dry out nearly as fast.

As Foster Fire will point out bead release is a suspension of material in water and it will need to stirred up every so often.
Lot of folks put some of the wonky "learning beads" in the jar and shake it the with the lid TIGHTLY closed.

I emphasize the tightly because more than a dozen stories are written up here about how the lid came off when being shaken and the bead release is still being found in various corners of the ceiling even decades later.

A bent mandrel in a small hand drill at the slowest setting can help take the work out of stirring the stuff but again being in a hurry will lead to a large mess.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2017-02-28 at 1:28am.