View Single Post
Old 2017-11-08, 5:06pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Miaco View Post
Ravenesque: All the glass (red and clear are 104) and the raku is 96 powder. So, a marble base of red 104, encased with super clear 104, thin layer of 96 raku powder, then clear 104 again.
Larry isn’t quite accurate. You can mix 96 with 104 in many applications. Otherwise FritGirl and Val Cox wouldn’t be in existence. So you’re on the right track by keeping it thin and minuscule. But it can be tricky. I would probably not encase fickle colors and use 96 coe at the same time. If you want a design, perhaps add an encased frit or enamel stringer on top of red. No encasement our the bead itself.

I know Kris Shiable uses 96 exclusively in her fit beads because she loves several layers of 96, and lots of frit. But generally speaking Dusty is correct. 5 or 10% works well as surface design but not every single color. Some 104 may be 105/106. Some 96 may be off as well. The viscosity has a lot to do with it, etc. Raku frit on unencased opaque red is gorgeous, try that and not the powder. Julie Nordine uses a lot of both colors in her palette. Though she may use 104 Raku, I think most of us prefer 96.

Last edited by SGA; 2017-11-08 at 5:11pm.