View Single Post
Old 2021-06-19, 9:57pm

If you are safe and resourceful, you can do it. I have.

** I previously had a full lampworking studio so I had some experience before trying this,
I would not recommend this idea for a first-timer!!! Listen,...try a class first.
Also, no consideration to insurance issues. Assume your own risk! **

SAFETY FIRST, then creativity...
FIRE - Kitchen fire extinguisher
EYES - Didymium glasses. Don't skimp
LUNGS - Vent hood fan above stove on maximum speed and kitchen window cracked open (vent must exhaust externally and have decent CFM. If your vent can't easily exhaust the rising heat from 1 rear burner on full, you're asking for trouble with this approach)
TORCH - Hot head on 1lb bottle in temporary but sturdy steel mount attached to stove-top. This one takes some creativity.
KILN/Rod warmer - Devardi mini kiln on alum baking half-sheet that sits across the 2 rear stove-top burners. (Stored on top of cart when not in use)
WORK SURFACE - I bought a 3-tier wire kitchen cart on casters and 2 - 1' x 2' 16ga steel sheets. 1 sheet goes across the 2 front stove-top burners and the other goes on top of the cart that is parked just to my side so I can set warm glass and tools on it.
STORAGE - the middle and bottom shelves/basket of the cart.
TOOLS/SUPPLIES - some COE104 glass , paddle or marver, tweezers, a shaping tool, etc.

So, you need to invest a minimum of $500 assuming no changes are needed to the apartment. Your work flow is limited to 4-hour runs (1lb propane bottle lifetime) and you don't have the luxury of being messy with hot bits of glass or hot tools. SLOW, methodical, and VERY SAFE work flow is the key.

I would do 2 hour sessions. Roll the cart out, set-up in about 15min, then work. Pendants, beads, marbles, and small sculptures are all possible.