Thread: Devardi cracks
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-22, 10:35pm
Hopeless glass addict!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemagic View Post
When I first started using Devardi, I experienced some cracking issues. Then I realized I was using too hot a flame. I reduced the flame as stated on the Devardi website, and I worked the glass much cooler. I have no cracking problems anymore to speak of. I suspect Karin made the same mistake. I have made many beads now with Devardi and I just don’t have problems with it. It works great. On the Devardi website there are videos that show you how to use the glass cooler, and also how to successfully combine and encase the glass with Moretti and silver glasses and other brands. I’ve combined and encased Devardi with a number of brands with no problem. Just keep the flame cooler.
This must be why I never had many problems with Divardi. I tend to work much cooler because, when I first started, I roasted the heck out of my transparent colors...so I started backing off into the cooler part of the flame. Then when I started doing sculptural beads, the cooler part of the flame is the best place to work...at least for me it is.

One thing I learned about Divardi Dark Rose: when I tried using it to make veins in my leaf pendants, it cracked the Vetrofond White I was using as a base. It doesn't seem to have any problems with goldstone or aventurine, though.

I always use a Golden Hot to warm my rods, no matter what rods I'm using, so I never have issues with any rods cracking to bits on me...not even the colors that are infamous for exploding to bits. The Divardi Rose looks great etched, though. I use it by itself to make flowers, then etch the flowers.

I love almost all of the kinds of glass out there. They all have their pros and cons, it's just a matter of learning how to cope with them. The brand I had the very most trouble with was ASK...it's the only one I finally had to quit using, though I LOVED the colors so much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~Mendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!