View Single Post
Old 2016-01-24, 12:58pm

Default DO feed the Savants!

Hello, new member, first thread.
Consider this post toll bait, because I bet they are about to start coming out of the woodwork, I hate them, I hope that either they are rare here, or dealt with properly.

I am a savant. I have regular moments of genius, but have small problems like forgetting what day it is, and mostly minor stuff like that.
A friend decided to get me into glass blowing, however it turned out that he was not a person I could work with due to layers of attitude problems.

Here's the deal:
I have had a whole 5 minutes on a torch, and in my studies I have found at least 3 or 4 major things that NOBODY is going - with pipes anyway, and I am not in it just to make pipes. These techniques are also things that in their own way are simple, but things that the vast majority of glass blowers simply would not be able to do in the end.
This gives me, a future glass artist of some sort, enormous potential advantages. However, I have found myself in a unique situation...
Because of my particular needs, I am not going to be able to do it like you guys do. I am going to be using the equivalent of a Petrogen torch, as well as possibly using HHO hydrogen; along with techniques and gear that nobody has likely used in near a hundred years.
I also have to do everything myself, without any training, and am also goig to have to build my own torches from scratch. Everything likely from more or less ornate brass, to fit in with my theme of being a Magi, which I re-spelled to be sure I could have a unique name.

No problem. I can do that, already started.

I would like to have some back-n-forth with anyone gifted or particularly knowledgeable about using air-gasoline, oxy-gasoline or petrogen, oxy-hydrogen, and/or hydrazine.

I would likely be getting into making custom kilns and torches, but since almost nobody uses gasoline in any way, not much of a market there I assume. However, if I came up with something truly special, what are the chances that others would see the value and benefits of doing so?

I would also like to find the most gifted guru of glass in the area of Medford, Oregon to possibly team up with, because if I can do some of the stuff I think I can, I don;t want to give away my secrets to just anybody.

Being that most people do not understand savants, it may make no sense when I say I know what the hell I am doing, despite only having 5 minutes on a torch, a complete lack of real experience, and dealing with stuff that almost nobody deals with - because I am also a visionary - I can see the path, I know where to go, I just need to find my way to where I have what I need and can do what I want.

After building a couple of gasoline based-torches, my next project will have to be a very special type of kiln to work with flat glass to make the raw material, which will be a little like a "glove box" because I will be dealing with hazardous materials - no not the stuff you are using, really way-out stuff I will not even post publicly about - yet.

Please spare me the stuff about I have no experience, I supposedly know nothing,yada yada ydada, because I really DO know where I am going.
I appreciate any general helpful feedback, and no "constructive criticism" which is an oxy-moron anyway.