View Single Post
Old 2016-06-07, 4:53am

Default Vetrofond Mauvelous tips

As requested, I am posting some of the things I've learned about this color - even though it's discontinued. Frantz still has some, but it won't be available much longer, I'm sure...

I've been playing with its reaction with assorted frit mixes, and love the results! I've been making lots of picks for fairy gardens, and mushrooms are a staple. I've sold quite a few to coworkers, so I keep making more!

it's like getting an ivory reaction, without the black that often happens. And it can be very shiny when reduced. Most of these were heavily heated, quickly shaped (not overworked) and popped in the kiln. I've found on other beads, if I overwork it, I lose the cool definition with the Mauvelous. With the mushrooms, it's easier to shape after it's glowing by holding it upside down and letting gravity do its thing - with minimal marvering. Also, because of this process, I can get EDP that's in some of the mixes to behave well for me. Finally!

Starting from the left (all are from That Frit Girl except #1)
1. Watercolors (from Devardi)
2. Atomic Mayhem
3. Guinnevere's Sister
4. (Test batch)
5. Santa Fe
6. Phoenix
Name:  2016-06-03 20.17.30.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  24.9 KB

Close ups of #2, #3, #1 (L to R)
Name:  2016-06-03 20.39.17.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  25.3 KB

Name:  2016-06-03 20.38.24.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  23.8 KB

I make the base of the mushroom with dark ivory and only put a layer of Mauvelous on top of the cap. I use a twistie with stripes of Hades or Intense Black over Dark Ivory that I wrap under the cap for the gills. Check out the cool reaction where the Dark Ivory meets the Mauvelous on mushroom #1!

I'll be playing with it more and share here. I think my favorite part of playing with hot glass is how it reacts with other glass. Makes up for flunking Chemistry, I guess...

"I'd rather have glassy friends than classy friends."