Thread: FLASHBACK
View Single Post
Old 2008-07-02, 11:30am
Living Life Creatively

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
If it were mine, I would rather see 25 feet of metallic piping from "source" (existing piping) to point very near torch, and shutoff valve at "close reach" of work area and shortest possible hose on torch.... Long hose draped over ceiling is just a extension of the possible flashback problem/hazard by putting potential "fire starter" in upper reaches of garage..

Dale
Thanks for the input, Dale and it's kinda what I was thinking too. But it would be a ton more expensive to have the plumber guy put in all metal piping for me. I was wondering if I could get away with covering the exposed soft hose with metal piping myself on the ceiling and walls, sort of like a sleeved effect? Then wouldn't that protect the hose from any hot glass, etc. as potential fire starters? And the propsed shut off valve site is only a few feet behind my chair, so it's about the same distance as putting on the same side as my torch (my work bench is pretty deep and wide).

If you still don't think that's a good solution, I may end up going with propane instead if my budget can't stretch. If I do, then could I thread the soft hose through a metal pipe that goes through the outside garage wall?

BTW, just wanted to say how much I appreciate you and others like yourself who have done so much research and are always willing to share their advice with us!

*Ü* Lori