View Single Post
Old 2008-05-28, 9:00pm

Default Remodeled Studio almost done

My stained glass studio is on the top floor of our garage. My Dh built the garage and I knew the upstairs would be mine.

The room is 18 ft by 18 ft. (now) Last June we started pulling the wall board off the wall. Had some serious leaks around 2 of my sky windows.Lots of dry rot as this was leaking for several years. We tried everything to stop the leaks. I ended up punching a hole in the wall and put a bucket under it when it rained.

Then one day the water ran down across the beam and started dripping on DH's 1939 Ford hot rod. Now we are going to fix the leak. This will be a good thing as we will add several square feet of useable space and I will be able to move my torch up there. Right now I torch in an unheated, unairconditioned shed. The studio is airconditioned. This is a pic of the "before" studio.

The damage

The roof is a 10/12 pitch so I really don't have any headroom on the sidewalls. The plan is to raise the roof and make a "shed dormer" type of wall. I will be able to walk right up to the 3 windows we install.

So here is the beginning of the demolition.

NOw the framing

Skipped the sheathing and tyvek. Here it is with windows and siding installed

This gives an idea about the room acquired.

The drywall and my orange spice paint. My friend tells me orange is the color of creativity......This should do it!

That about brings the remodel up to date. Tonight we did some leveling of the floor so Dh can start tiling along one wall that will hold all my glass. Right now I have it stashed all over the studio. When I say glass I mean sheet glass. The tiling will be a big job as we have to do one side, move everything to the other side and tile that side. I did finish painting the east wall and worked on the mosaic over the sink.

Till next time....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by glasser; 2008-05-28 at 9:01pm. Reason: forgot to subscribe