View Single Post
Old 2020-09-15, 2:52pm

Default Chili pepper kiln not heating! Help!

So I'm right in the middle of a few projects and of course my jen-ken chili pepper kiln decided to quit heating. I have heard it's the relays, so I ordered some relays. I'm an electrician by trade, so I put 12v to the relays and found that they change state with a meter. Then I get the LAG code which means the TC isn't heating up, so the contactor drops out and it drops power off of the element. So then I decided to put my heat gun inside the kiln and now as long as the TC is coming up in temp, I can measure 118v going to the heating element but the element never turns red after at least 5-10 min of waiting. So does that mean my heating element is bad? I will admit, I have a small torch (GTT Lynx) and I often use my kiln just to keep a piece evenly heated, so I constantly stop the kiln and refire it up to max temp to basically use as a heater since my torch doesn't supply a big enough flame and I constantly get pieces cracking and breaking. I have less than 100 firings with this kiln and just got it in february. I was going to call jen-ken today but they closed before I had a chance to call. Sorry if this has been addressed, but with a quick search I couldn't find this exact problem. Really need my kiln back! Thanks in advance for any help!