View Single Post
Old 2007-12-29, 8:54am
Floral Obsessed

Good timing for me for this thread to pop up again! I'm working on designing a floral class for May in Regina, Saskatchewan (my first - I'm so excited!) and I want to cover this topic in depth. The questions and answers in this thread are great inspiration and I'd love to see more!

In response to your question by PM, Deanne, my orchid was made a lot like a daffodil, but off-centre, if you see what I mean! The first layer of petals was laid down over the first encasing layer. To make the 3 stripey petals, I used a ribbon cane that I had made ahead of time. I pulled out the tips a little. Then, on the same layer, I added the top two broad petals with layered transparents. I ruffled the edges by poking in from outside the edge of the petals with the tip of a cold clear stringer. Then I encased the whole bead. Once the encasing was smooth, I added the final petal at the bottom, so that the top of the final petal matched up with the centre of the flower. I did alot of layering on that one, and some ruffling too. (Totally inspired by Kerry!) Then, I plunged it, but not through the centre of the petal - into the centre of the flower, just at the top of the petal. I can't remember, but I probably spot-encased over the last petal, since it would have been fairly easy to cover with a drop of clear.

Here's the only other encased orchid I've made, way back in April! I should totally make another.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons