View Single Post
Old 2013-01-17, 8:25am

Hi Chuck,

I just started several months ago. I ordered a Hot Head starter kit for around $100 and I used 1 pound MAPP canisters from Lowes; the MAPP gas only lasts for a very short time for me, maybe 3 hours at $8-$10 a bottle. I too live in a rather remote area for supplies and lampworking resources. So I have depended on the internet and just fun playing around with the torch.

But after trying and really loving it, after three months, I purchased a Nortel Mega Minor, along with two new 40lb propane tanks and two new super large torpedo shaped oxygen tanks to keep me running. I am only using soft glass, but now feel like I can do a whole lot more with my new torch. My addiction is alive and well!

I'm slowly adding tools as I feel like I need them or want to try something new. The basics are your mandrels 1/16, 3/32, 1/8, or 3/16 (I have an inventory of all sizes, but use mostly for now the 3/32 and 1/; mashers; pick/rake; paring knife or Xacto knife; bead release; marver (I finally just bought one to go on top of my torch). I also bought a heavy duty stainless steel sheet from Lowes to put under my work surface. A lot of tools you can improvise as you learn I am finding. Although I like to have nice things!

Good luck and have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
~