View Single Post
Old 2013-02-17, 12:14pm

Default Brass Frit Golden Bubbles Information and Sharing

I wanted to start a thread for the brass frit to share information and beads. I have sold this before so I wanted to post some information that might be helpful for great results.

Also, I would love to see some of YOUR beads that you have made with it.

This is a short tutorial that I sent out with the frit. I'm not sure everyone that purchased from me before got one. There is also more information that I wanted to add.

Here it is....

Brass Frit
Make sure when applying your frit, you do it well into the bead. In other words, on the first or second layer of glass applied. Otherwise they can come to the surface, pop and leave a big gaping hole. You only need about 15 or so pieces depending on how large your bead is however, you can add more or less and adjust to your liking.

Spread the frit on your marver so that they are separated and not in a pile. Roll the very hot bead over the frit. You might have to do this a couple of times to pick up all that you want. The frit sometimes has to absorb some of the heat from your bead to stick.

As you work your bead, the bubbles will start to "grow". When I make my florals, I don't force "grow" the bubbles. As the florals take some time to create, by the time I am done with the bead the bubbles have formed perfectly just during the process. For bead that are quick, like spacers or small beads, you might have to work a "growing" the bubbles and you can control how large you want them.

IMPORTANT

Do not put the raw frit into the flame. It will spark and spit. Once you have it on your bead, encase it immediately.

Here is what I wanted to add. I have noticed that if the brass is applied to certain glasses, it will turn black or a dark bronze. It almost looks dirty. It must be the added metals that are sometimes used to make the glass. I find that the best results are to sandwich the brass between two layers of clear. Pale aqua will turn it dark so regular clear is best. So, if you are making a bead with a colored center, just coat it with clear before adding the brass.

Soooo.....get out that brass and please show your work here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.