View Single Post
Old 2013-02-24, 6:52pm
Dynamic Duo

here are some made last week - LOTS of pics

I use 28 gauge brass wire, and usually cut a length about 8 inches and hold it with locking tweezers to apply.

These beads all have a dark base, with some sort of twisty stringer applied. Smooth into a barrel/tube. Then I get the bead hot enough so that the wire will stick, but not hot enough to be droopy. Heat a tip of the wire quickly in flame (it will spark)- attach to bead near bead hole, and spin the mandrel to get the wire wrapped onto the bead. I Usually then give it a quick roll on graphite to just firm up the attachments.

And in the application, sometimes sections break, or spark away. And that is OK. I just try to keep that to a minimum.

Then I encase the bead, being careful to just have my encasing rod in the flame and not the bead. Encase, melt in encasing, and then usually a second full layer of encasing.

These then have surface layer decorations of silvered glasses, which means there is even additional time for bubble growth, as these are heated and cooled a few times to get color development.

I love the golden color of bubbles from using brass. And did try one with a blue glass, putting the wire right on the pale blue, and doo see how then the bubbles are more black and silvery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.