View Single Post
Old 2013-03-28, 9:25am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassTorturer View Post
Thank you Dawn for sharing all this info and the great video! I'm still trying to get something other than a brown stripe down the middle of my bead. THis is with Fire Lotus - it gets a filmy gray haze before I garage it, and I can't seem to get rid of it!

Also, I'm on a Mini CC with NG and an oxycon - does the fact that I don't use propane make any difference?

Judy
Fire Lotus is not in the Dalai Lama family. The three colors of glass that work the way I showed in the video are Dalai Lama, Transcendental and Tibet. They all require that initial "super sloppy" heat cycle in order to strike.

Fire Lotus I work a little different. I don't heat it quite so much. I get it good and hot, but just short of the point where it gets soupy. Then I press the bead (or marver it) and wait for what seems like forever for it to cool and loose all it's glow. Then I bring it back to the flame and gently fire polish the chill marks out, and in doing so, it strikes the bead. This will show some blues, usually towards the center of the bead, and some tan colors out on the edges. Go ahead and pop it in the kiln at this point! The tan colors will strike in the kiln to purples and reds.

If you have a filmy gray haze, that kind of sounds like too much gas in the mixture. Try turning your gas down a bit and see if that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator