Thread: Loops/ Bails
View Single Post
Old 2015-06-04, 9:08am
Retired to the flame

It depends on the piece. If the loop is functional, or the piece is complex hollow that will crack fast, I go with a hot bit and Peters type tool. It gets a loop fast so I can get the piece into the kiln quick.

if the loop is decorative as well as functional, and a solid, then I take the time to pull glass off the piece and form a graceful loop.

It is time issue for me. The longer the piece can stay out of the kiln without the risk of a crack, the longer I can work on the loop. Solids like pendants have lots of grace time. More complex solids and hollows are difficult to reheat with out the risk of cracking due to varying thickness in the piece. I don't want to spend a lot of time forming a great piece and then have it crack because I took too long messing with the loop.

If it is meant to hang and the loop in not part of the design, then go fast and simple. If the loop is part of the "line" the eye will see, then make it pleasing to the eye.

Like Shawnette I use several methods to make loops. No one style fits all pieces.